Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sons marine cadets

Hi my sons school has marine cadets. It is optional but he's thinking of going. At the start of the year when it all opened before closing again. We had a look around at the marine cadets and they showed us previous pictures and stuff. They were wearing blues and seemed to always wear blues unless they were in the field. Even on there summer camp. To me this just seems crazy them wearing such a thick layer of clothes when its 35c outside. I don't want my son being in any danger or anything. But when I asked if they have other uniform for the summer they just said they wear blues for most things and then a tshirt jumper and smock for the other stuff in like the field. Like is this normal?

Fortunately we don’t have large keys sticking out of our backs. Nobody wears blues for most things.

Hi my sons school has marine cadets. It is optional but he's thinking of going. At the start of the year when it all opened before closing again. We had a look around at the marine cadets and they showed us previous pictures and stuff. They were wearing blues and seemed to always wear blues unless they were in the field. Even on there summer camp. To me this just seems crazy them wearing such a thick layer of clothes when its 35c outside. I don't want my son being in any danger or anything. But when I asked if they have other uniform for the summer they just said they wear blues for most things and then a tshirt jumper and smock for the other stuff in like the field. Like is this normal?
I am pretty certain that Marine cadets are going to be heavily governed by Health and Safety especially being juveniles and the proper clothing worn for the appropriate activities. On summer camps most of it will be warry stuff out in the field wearing combat kit. The adult staff will make sure the cadets drink enough water, are fully hydrated and don't overheat.

As a 15-17 year old junior soldier at Junior Leaders Regiment, Royal Engineers at Dover I was a member of the regimental band. The uniform was exactly the same as the one's worn by the RE at Rorkes Drift in 1879 with the newer ones dated 1915, and toped off by a black fur busby. In the winter it was freezing as you couldn't wear a jumper underneath. In the summer you baked as trousers and jacket were made of heavy wool serge with the jacket buttoned up to the neck. We used to do a lot of fetes and other engagements in summer weekends and evenings and at the end of it the t-shirt underneath was soaking wet through with sweat.

However at least we didn't have to wear this stuff in the heat of Natal, South Africa, with Zulu's, thousands of them, looking to do us in. Don't worry about your sons, they will love it. A bit of hardship will do them good and get them away from the computer. Especially after all this time being stuck at home in lockdown.

Boxy

GCM
These cadets... are they part of a CCF or are they a ‘linked detachment’ kind of thing?

The times I’ve been involved with RMC they were in PCS, I’m just wondering if by ‘Blues’ you mean the RN blue version of PCS, not the RAF blues of various shades.

As has been said either as part of a CCF or RMC linked detachment the adults are, usually, on the ball with regards to looking after their charges and they have all sorts of guidelines imposed on them

These cadets... are they part of a CCF or are they a ‘linked detachment’ kind of thing?

The times I’ve been involved with RMC they were in PCS, I’m just wondering if by ‘Blues’ you mean the RN blue version of PCS, not the RAF blues of various shades.

As has been said either as part of a CCF or RMC linked detachment the adults are, usually, on the ball with regards to looking after their charges and they have all sorts of guidelines imposed on them
They are purely within the school.

My daughter was in the RM section of the school's CCF until last year.
They only wore MTP.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have a radical idea, why not ask the school?

Poppy

LE
sea-cadets.org/royal-marines-cadets
I have a radical idea, why not ask the school?
............. or google marine cadets and if you don't get satisfactory info from the school go to their head office

sea-cadets.org/royal-marines-cadets

lextalionis

Old-Salt
I was a Sea Cadet in my yoof (RMC are part of the Sea Cadet Corps) and we would wear No 1 dress for monthly divisions and as other ceremonial occasion required (e.g. Trafalgar Day Parade, Remembrance Sunday, etc.). If you were quite keen, you might wear it two or three times a month, but usually in the evening and outside of summer months. Sailors' rig was never that hot and sweaty. I can't really say anything about the marine cadets' dress though...

Now we can understand why generations are growing up snowflakes, they get it inbred by their parents

Archie

Ah. Feel the school like want them to look smart around school and why they wear blues so much.
It could be that the boys and girlsa like wearing a smart uniform associated with her majesty's jollies around in school to the envy of their classmates. A good recruiting tool for the cadets.

We had a Royal Green Jackets ACF based at our school which paraded on thursday afternoon as part of 'hobbies.' We wore the uniform all morning in class and felt that we looked 'really hard.' I couldn't wait to join when I became old enough, after seeing the lads (girls not allowed in those days) in the year above cutting about school in their uniform.

It could be that the boys and girlsa like wearing a smart uniform associated with her majesty's jollies around in school to the envy of their classmates. A good recruiting tool for the cadets.

We had a Royal Green Jackets ACF based at our school which paraded on thursday afternoon as part of 'hobbies.' We wore the uniform all morning in class and felt that we looked 'really hard.' I couldn't wait to join when I became old enough, after seeing the lads (girls not allowed in those days) in the year above cutting about school in their uniform.
I feel that just you know the summer term still doing that seems like idk. Like that's a warm uniform to wear for 12 hours in the summer.