Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Sons interview

Further to my Son’s enquiries to become an Officer in the REME. He has an interview soon with a Maj A.N. Other at our local careers office. He is still at school at the moment and understands if he is accepted the Army will sponsor him through a degree. My question is, what can he expect at this interview and would it be acceptable for me to go along with him?

Having been through the system a few years ago, the interview is a chance for the recruiting officer to get to know your son a bit more, as well as making sure he is up to date on current affairs, and some basic military knowledge. He will not expect that your son be fluent in tactical doctrine, only that he has a basic idea of the Army's main structure and important issues.

With regards to your going along, I would suggest that you go along with him to the interview, but you will probably not be allowed into the interview room. By going along you will be able to ask the interviewer any questions you may have.

If your son is having an interview for a University Bursary, then the Army will give him some money as a lump sum, but it is not enough to cover all his living expenses. The OTC can be a way to offset some of the cost, but he will either have to get a job, or you may have to step up.

Hope this helps

dep

dep105 said:
Having been through the system a few years ago, the interview is a chance for the recruiting officer to get to know your son a bit more, as well as making sure he is up to date on current affairs, and some basic military knowledge. He will not expect that your son be fluent in tactical doctrine, only that he has a basic idea of the Army's main structure and important issues.

With regards to your going along, I would suggest that you go along with him to the interview, but you will probably not be allowed into the interview room. By going along you will be able to ask the interviewer any questions you may have.

If your son is having an interview for a University Bursary, then the Army will give him some money as a lump sum, but it is not enough to cover all his living expenses. The OTC can be a way to offset some of the cost, but he will either have to get a job, or you may have to step up.

Hope this helps

dep

this is what i meant,

Had one myself not too long ago and although it depends on the interviewer, they will most likely ask reasons for wanting to join army as an officer, interests, hobbies, maybe maths q's, current affairs( best to get up to date with this - is a cert) a good knowledge of REME and the army will definatly help him.

Not to be harsh, but your son will probably feel more comfortable in the interview without you there, I certainly woulnd't want any of my parents at my interview.

Don't worry there is plenty of time for you to speak to the ACIO about any questions/problems you want to ask.