Songs that shouldn't be allowed to be covered, and vice versa

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I've done a search but found nowt, so apologies before anybody gets all Jarrody on me...

... that said, I've been getting through POETS day by listening to a few old favourites.

We get a lot of gash covers of old classics, and the usual tawdry no-hopers mangling them on Simon Cowell's freak show but I got to thinking: which songs are so good that cover versions of them shouldn't be allowed? Which achieve perfection and make derivatives superfluous? On the other hand, some artists take an original and make them truly their own.

In the former case, Roberta Flack's 'The first time ever I saw your face' does it for me - just the perfect version. Beautifully measured, and beautifully sung.

In the latter case, Jimi Hendrix's 'All along the Watchtower' - how many people even know or care that it was borrowed from Bob Dylan?

Any other suggestions?

I get knack'd off with house music , a type of music that inherently relies on using other music sampled , chopped up and changed . The problem is so many great songs and tracks today are hashed up in such a shit way and they seem to pass muster . Stuff you could knock up in 15 minutes using a programme such as Reaper .

There doesnt seem to be any ambition to it anymore , people are not interested in the music as such , more like the fame and acknowledgement .

And i think 99% of any other music is shit as a cover , especially when they start doing that up and down warbling changing all the notes , to add there ' unique take ' on the song .

lert

LE
Radio 2 did a national poll on this recently. The winner of the 'Best Cover' was the Pet Shop Boys and Always On My Mind. Not necessarily my cup of tea but I would admit it's better than Elvis' original.

Later that day I heard something called a Susan Boyle doing Wish You Were Here. IMHO Floyd should never be covered by anyone, but that fecker near made me rip the car radio out and hoof it out the window.

Edited to add linky. Johnny Cash doing Hurt would have won if for me.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Techtechtech, I actually bloody knew that... just got caught up in the song, I guess.

But I'll be brave and not edit the original post - I dropped a clanger.

Okay - Led Zep's 'Stairway to heaven'. Why does anyone else bother?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
that feck awful cover of 'here's where the story ends' by way out west. anodyne piss poor shite that made the average x-factor performance look like sheer brilliance in comparison.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Radio 2 did a national poll on this recently. The winner of the 'Best Cover' was the Pet Shop Boys and Always On My Mind. Not necessarily my cup of tea but I would admit it's better than Elvis' original.

Later that day I heard something called a Susan Boyle doing Wish You Were Here. IMHO Floyd should never be covered by anyone, but that fecker near made me rip the car radio out and hoof it out the window.

A fair bit of Elvis stuff is done better elsewhere. The Fine Young Cannibals's 'Suspicious Minds' was a far better version than the original.

lert

LE
A fair bit of Elvis stuff is done better elsewhere. The Fine Young Cannibals's 'Suspicious Minds' was a far better version than the original.
Ooh wash your mouth out !

Anything by Band Aid or anything else by so called celebraties in aid of shite they don't really care about.

Actually easy all stars dud reggae version of dark side of the moon is brilliant

Easy Star All-Stars - Dub Side of The Moon (full …:
( as a bonus, just got to see the sainsburys advert, class)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
I'd like to repeatedly slap Ellie Goulding for ruining "How Long Will I Love You?" by The Waterboys.

The Boyzone rendition of "Love Me For a Reason" wasn't too bad though but I still prefer The Osmonds.

I didn't post any video links because you'd all shout at me.

All covers of Elvis's stuff are better than the original. Elvis was shite.

Latest Threads