Songs from the Rhodesian Bush War 1960s to 1980s

Discussion in 'Southern Africa' started by DB216LOKDVR, Jun 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the NAAFI forum a list of songs from the Vietnam War has been published.

In Rhodesia during the Bush War (1960's to 1980's) a number of local singer/song writers published song about the war.

I remember from the 70's hearing 'The Green Leader Raid radio transmissions' in a song as well as other songs of the period including Rhodesia is Super etc.

Is there any ex Rhodies who have a list of songs of this period and a list of singers/song writers. (Similar to the NAAFI thread).

Can any body recommend a company based in the UK who sells recordings of songs from Rhodesia of this period.

Over to you.

2. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

3. _Chimurenga_

4. "It's a long way to Mukambura" _ Mike Westcott & Leprechaun..gotta be the best one for a laugh, it's all in there

5. _Chimurenga_

or "We Are the Shumba Drinkers" by the same artist.

6. Good stuff!! Off-topic, sorry, I know that some will, but sadly not very many here will have the first clue as to what this is about:

Good old EAR&H

7. It reminds me of when BFBS attended 79 Railway Squadron RCT in MG in 1977/78 with the 'Around The Units Programme'.

Sgt Joe S selected the song 'The Runaway Train'!!!

Can anybody confirm if 'The Green Leader radio transmissions' were used in a song in the 70's?

I also recall a song with the words 'Save the Children' I believe this may have been related to the civi airliner which was shot down by the terr's.

8. _Chimurenga_

Yes, The Green Leader Theme by John Edmond

Those lyrics are in The Green Leader Theme, however the song about the Viscount massacre was the subject of the song You Ain't No Hero, also by John Edmond.

9. Thank you for the info.

I remember in the late 70's early 80's listening to the songs from Rhodesia brought to the UK by an ex Rhodie.

Does anybody know of a shop in the UK that sells the Rhodesian items, there used to be one in London (I think), but I lost the details.

Cheers.

10. John Edmonds song Green Leader has a portion of the coms with Lusaka Tower

This clip with cg visuals have a little more of the actual audio of the operation

One name missing here is Clem Tholet whom I believe was a son-in-law to Smithy, married to his daughter.

11. It was a piss-take of "Seasons In the Sun" that went something like
    "We had joy, we had fun, killing. . ." and so on.
    Only ever learned one verse, and the guy who told me it claimed he had been in Rhodesia as a police officer working alongside the recce commandos and learned it from them.

Of course, I have no independent corroboration for this song whatsoever.

Tam

12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

RhodieBKK, I believe the first vid of the 'Green Leader' theme is the one produced by Doop and Kruger in ZA last year, it's definitely not JE's original.

Somewhere in a trommel I've got a full copy of the cockpit tape, interesting if you're into a/c but mind-blowingly boring to those that aren't - or so I'm informed... :)

13. Tam, I also heard the version - and also only the one verse! There was also the "Harmony" campaign to get the Blecks and Whites to get on better, until it was changed to "Harmany did you kill today?".

14. John Edmonds song Green Leader manages to include the mottos of all the RhAF Squadrons in the lyrics; but it is clearly not him singing in the video posted earlier, but it does have some got shots in it though!