Son Joining Royal Artillery

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by jaydoubleu, Oct 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All

My son starts basic at Pirbright early in November, he has elected to join the RA and hopefully to become a UAV Operator once all his training is complete. Not really having had any experience with the military I was wondering if any of you old or new hands could offer any last minute advice I may be able to pass on.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Treasure the time before he leaves, because he's about to find out that his parents are civvies.

And when you see him next, he will impress you with his new found swearing skills.

Hope this helps?

3. Get his head down. listen and learn. Do the best of his ability and enjoy
  4. I would suggest he keeps an open mind with regards to training it will be totally new to anything he may have done beforehim, but what he will be asked to do is done for reason with the end state being that he comes to us in the Regiments as a well prepared and well trained individual.

All the training he will do is progressive so he wont be asked to start at 500 MPH in addition the instructors at the training Establishments are first class that why they in them post.

Before he joins he may wanna go for a few short runs up to 3 mile each just to get the heart and lungs working so its not a shock when he starts however the fitness program he will undergo again is progressive so the run before not essential. wearing something smart on day one gives a good impression as is a shave first impresions and all that.

hope this little info helps although i am no subject matter expert

5. Thanks guys, all pretty much what the ACIO has told him over the last few weeks. He seems pretty excited about the whole thing and is at the stage where the waiting is becoming frustrating, guess he will have to learn to cope with that!! The bags are packed, the kit is all together the train ticket is bought and he is on his way on monday.

Oh and Lefty 478 his mum has a bar of soap waiting for when he comes home at christmas.

Once again thanks and God bless you all.
  6. he'll eat the soap and wash it down with a pint of lager!!!