Son interested in Avionics Tech - any advice please

Discussion in 'REME' started by MilitaryWatches, Aug 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son is interested in becoming an Avionics Technician. I have been out for 9 years so am out of touch. He has all the relevant GCSE's at A or A* plus A level Physics and Maths.

He is trying to decide if he should be going to University or joining up. Any advice from current or past Avionics Techs would be very welcome.

many thanks

2. i tried it once, course was solid. but with those grades he looks like he could go far. gotta ask himself is that what he wants to do? the things that put me off were limited postings and that darn blue beret! :)

of course there are hundreds of benefits. especially if he leaves.

no help at all, just wanted to say the course was too hard for me... might be cos im thick.

cheers easy

3. Thanks for the reply, he isn't sure and you can never get a straight answer in the careers office as they would promise him his own private helicopter to get him in LOL

4. It might be worth his while considering a commision if he is that bright!

Dave

5. He is bright but doesn't have the leadership side. He is quite honest about that and I think he knows that he wouldn't pass Sandhurst at this point in his life.

6. [/quote]
    but doesn't have the leadership side. quote]

Well neither do most of the Muppets we get to "look after us", get him in the RAF.
    A bit of Uni before the Army is better than trying to get out to go back to Uni.
    Life as a Greeny aint what it used to be FFS a Chef is paid the same as them now.
    Thats my tuppence worth.
    Wish him all the best, whatever he does
    (Yes i am a failed Tech too ha ha!)

7. Tell the lad to join the RAF - better living standards, fewer tours, and a really snazzy mess kit in about twenty years' time!

8. but doesn't have the leadership side. quote]

Well neither do most of the Muppets we get to "look after us", get him in the RAF.
    A bit of Uni before the Army is better than trying to get out to go back to Uni.
    Life as a Greeny aint what it used to be FFS a Chef is paid the same as them now.
    Thats my tuppence worth.
    Wish him all the best, whatever he does
    (Yes i am a failed Tech too ha ha!)[/quote]

Cheers, I think he is more leaning towards Uni at the moment, but you know how kids change :)

He has an offer to read Physics so I think he may go with that. However he has worked out that he can earn about £70K in the Army during the time he would be at Uni to do his Masters and then he will have a debt of around £20K - £30K so in total he will be down by £90 - 100K on someone joining as a Techie and not going to Uni.

He will be about 40 by the time he pays his debt off. By the time you add debt repayments to a mortgage and then divide the £70K he will have 'lost' in salary during the 5 years at Uni he plans for. He is going to need to be earning about £35K or more a year between leaving uni and when he pays his debt off at 40 just to break even.

9. With those sorts of good grades try and get him sponsored thru Uni by the Mob or better still they might send him to Shrivvers! Competition is fierce tho'
    Uniform (if thats what he fancies), a wage/bursary, no debts and all boxes ticked!
    The OTC might help out too, if he just went to normal Uni and his Leadership skills will come on there.
    There is a wealth of info on all the different web pages.
    The Greeny Tiffies get a degree now too so if he fancied waiting a few years for one then let him do that.
    I have loved my time in and the Apprentice system was a way out of Sh1tty London council estates for me, my schooling got me a C grade GCSE at Maths and thats it! (Thank Feck for Dominoes on the entrance test) Im well on my way to a Warrant all thanks to the oppos given to me.
    You boy is a clever little fecker no doubt, you have given him the best start already and your support will not go unnoticed in years to come. (Im welling up now)
    He'll be alright dont let him rush into anything tho' like you said they would offer him his own Helicopter to get him taking the Queens Shilling! If he ever gets to be my EME remember little ol' Catch wont he.

10. Cheers, I think he has now made his mind up to go to Uni after talking about it last night - perhaps the OTC might be an option that would at least let him have some fun and see if he has got hidden leadership. It would probably also be a good to balance out the academic side with something completely different.

11. Best of luck to him mate.

12. As an ex-greenie, I'd offer that the limited postings and nice little overseas spots have killed off the attractiveness of Army Aviation. I had a great time - but with his quals he'd be better off looking at the RAF Engineeering Officer side - if aircraft was his interest. Starting salary was about £14k, officer training bit is much easier than Sandhurst. Not sure of recruiting block/ban though....becasue of their redundancy thing. Will ask them when they visit next month! Best of luck - why not try for a civ aviation work experience, get licensed and get earning.

13. cheers, he has decided to go to Uni and is looking at the OTC

14. Best of luck - worked for me! Drifted into TA, to see if I liked it first, then the lure of someone giving me money to be trained, travelling to strange nations and exploring their women, food & alcohol became to much to resist. Loved it - Miss it, well except for being dicked about by the 'high paid help' that claimed to be managing the best interests of the Corps....hence why I left.

15. Pity it wasn't all like that still