Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mushroom, Jul 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today is the anniversary of the first day of the Somme.

58000 casualties, 19000 of them killed, on this day alone.
  2. May their sacrifice always be remembered

Rest in Peace
  3. Just got back from Somme breakfast. This year UK, next year Thiepval.

. . . . . . . These were men . . . . . . .
  4. I'm off the booze but I will have a stella tonight in rememberance.
  5. Remember them all,and don`t forget that the Somme battles of 1916 went on until 13th November of that year, when Beaumont Hamel was finally taken. It was a 1st July objective.

6. I visited a local TA Centre last year and across one wall of the drill hall were the names of all the local lads that were killed - all on the first day of the Somme - hundreds of them, almost the entire Battalion.

Brought a tear to my eye.
  7. I read "McCrae's Battalion", about the 16th Battalion (the second of the service battalions, raised for War service, and not Regular or Territorial) of the Royal Scots; damn good book.

Anyway, what stuck in my mind was the story at the end where a lady in her 70s who helped the author because her father had served in the battalion, finally found out why on one day every year her father would shut himself in one of the rooms of the house for a few hours, and cry.

Reading about the first day of the Somme, and Scots Redoubt - truly moving.
  8. Never fails to raise the hairs on the back of my neck
  9. Defies imagination. Brave, brave men.
  10. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I drove through the Somme and Picardie a few weeks back and on the way I visited my Great Uncle. Manchester Regiment

The horrors that these men were subjected to are beyond our understanding.

When will we finally get our LAND FIT FOR HEROES?
  11. This battle is often taken out of context-I recommend Mud, Blood and Poppycock by Gordon Corrigan-it shows that all the suffering and sacrifice was not in vain-the Somme offensive drew the Germans away from Verdun where the French were on the point of collapse. A good read. The Imperial War Museum also produce an excellent history of the Battle
  12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

We should be in awe of these soldiers.
  13. Mud, Blood and Popycock is an excellent read. I would also recomment Lynn MacDonald's Somme.
  14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Martin Middlebrook's 'First day on the Somme' is the best by far.
  15. For detail Middlebrook is still the best read for the first day. However, for wider context Gary Sheffield's Forgotten Victory or the aforementioned mud, blood and poppycock are good. Sheffield's Somme also good.