Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Somewhere in Germany/Bavaria ?

So, in 1981,I was in Detmold,and our super leader booked us in for a weeks R & R somewhere in the mountains,
We stayed in a great big mansion,and I think someone said it was an old hitler youth camp.
After a days rest, we were taken to a training place that must have trained real soldiers[not Reme].
They made us crawl towards a machine gun firing real bullets over our heads and exploding stuff all around us.
Then they took all our stuff including money,boated us across a lake and told us we were playing escape and evasion! !
A whole week of sleeping in hedges,being taught useless stuff about nettle tea,moss on trees and almost no food.
It was a ******* nightmare,so much so I can't remember what it was called or where.
They did have dutch forces with dogs hunting us,which I thought was odd.
Does anybody have any idea where this was/is?

So, in 1981,I was in Detmold,and our super leader booked us in for a weeks R & R somewhere in the mountains,
We stayed in a great big mansion,and I think someone said it was an old hitler youth camp.
After a days rest, we were taken to a training place that must have trained real soldiers[not Reme].
They made us crawl towards a machine gun firing real bullets over our heads and exploding stuff all around us.
Then they took all our stuff including money,boated us across a lake and told us we were playing escape and evasion! !
A whole week of sleeping in hedges,being taught useless stuff about nettle tea,moss on trees and almost no food.
It was a ******* nightmare,so much so I can't remember what it was called or where.
They did have dutch forces with dogs hunting us,which I thought was odd.
Does anybody have any idea where this was/is?
Stalag luft 19

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Agree with *TG - sounds like Vogelsang.

Some posts seem to have disappeared - like *TG's.

Agree with *TG - sounds like Vogelsang.

Some posts seem to have disappeared - like *TG's.
No - that was me - Vogelsang is nowhere near Bavaria so I deleted my reply.

But it fits the bill and the Dutch border is close by (relatively).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Still sounds like Vogelsang and if the OP didn't know the name then he probably didn't know the country he was in. ;)

But it fits the bill and the Dutch border is close by (relatively).

I'd say Vogelsang. I he didn't know where he was he might just as well have been on the French Commando course.

I believe you, no honestly I do, really, I really believe you, honest.

I might be in the minority of one here but I loved Vogelsang - then again, I joined the army to be a soldier and shoot/blow up stuff not be posted to a ******* REME Workshop - it was about the only warry release I got.

I believe you, no honestly I do, really, I really believe you, honest.
That did happen at Vogelsang - the night assaults with full live/tracer ammo were spectacular.

Latest Threads