Somewhere in Germany/Bavaria ?

So, in 1981,I was in Detmold,and our super leader booked us in for a weeks R & R somewhere in the mountains,
We stayed in a great big mansion,and I think someone said it was an old hitler youth camp.
After a days rest, we were taken to a training place that must have trained real soldiers[not Reme].
They made us crawl towards a machine gun firing real bullets over our heads and exploding stuff all around us.
Then they took all our stuff including money,boated us across a lake and told us we were playing escape and evasion! !
A whole week of sleeping in hedges,being taught useless stuff about nettle tea,moss on trees and almost no food.
It was a ******* nightmare,so much so I can't remember what it was called or where.
They did have dutch forces with dogs hunting us,which I thought was odd.
Does anybody have any idea where this was/is?

So, in 1981,I was in Detmold,and our super leader booked us in for a weeks R & R somewhere in the mountains,
We stayed in a great big mansion,and I think someone said it was an old hitler youth camp.
After a days rest, we were taken to a training place that must have trained real soldiers[not Reme].
They made us crawl towards a machine gun firing real bullets over our heads and exploding stuff all around us.
Then they took all our stuff including money,boated us across a lake and told us we were playing escape and evasion! !
A whole week of sleeping in hedges,being taught useless stuff about nettle tea,moss on trees and almost no food.
It was a ******* nightmare,so much so I can't remember what it was called or where.
They did have dutch forces with dogs hunting us,which I thought was odd.
Does anybody have any idea where this was/is?
Stalag luft 19

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Agree with *TG - sounds like Vogelsang.

Some posts seem to have disappeared - like *TG's.

Agree with *TG - sounds like Vogelsang.

Some posts seem to have disappeared - like *TG's.
No - that was me - Vogelsang is nowhere near Bavaria so I deleted my reply.

But it fits the bill and the Dutch border is close by (relatively).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Still sounds like Vogelsang and if the OP didn't know the name then he probably didn't know the country he was in. ;)

But it fits the bill and the Dutch border is close by (relatively).

I'd say Vogelsang. I he didn't know where he was he might just as well have been on the French Commando course.

I believe you, no honestly I do, really, I really believe you, honest.

I might be in the minority of one here but I loved Vogelsang - then again, I joined the army to be a soldier and shoot/blow up stuff not be posted to a ******* REME Workshop - it was about the only warry release I got.

Latest Threads