Something you'd think I should know!!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm looking at making my own herb and chilli infused oils. What's the method needed, is it just a case of chucking said items in a bottle and wait out? I've invested in a few Kilner bottles for the process.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I'm looking at making my own herb and chilli infused oils. What's the method needed, is it just a case of chucking said items in a bottle and wait out? I've invested in a few Kilner bottles for the process.

I've never done that but some googling warns about botulism. I do like pickling stuff but then I love vinegar.

You shouldn't tell everyone, it could be the start of a new brand

Joker's 62.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
You shouldn't tell everyone, it could be the start of a new brand

Joker's 62.

With some of the chillies I'm growing, 62 wouldn't even rate a score. Am laying off Nagas and Jolikias, but Scotch Bonnets are a starter.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I usually use some chopped chilli, even dried flakes, in oil, heat for a couple of minutes, allow to cool then bung it in a sterile container. adding a couple of whole chilli peppers so you can look posh,(and so I know which oil is which at a glance) and jobs a good un

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What jarrod said, just let them sit in oil, I found when making alcoholic bitters that the best technique was to make individual batches of flavour types, and then blend them afterwards to taste. Allows you more flexibility in flavour combos and less likely that you need to bin a batch if you cock it up.

I have done both chili and garlic olive oil. I just threw them (the chili or garlic) into an old oil bottle about a third of the way up and topped up with oil. Waited a month or so before use, and it gets stronger with age. Have had no side effects.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Recipe for Garlic Olive Oil from the Ex Mrs Fingerz.

One bottle 8/9ths full of extra virgin olive oil.
A slack handfull of garlic bulbs.

Crush and peel the garlic.
Roughly chop the garlic

Place the garlic into the olive oil and seal.

Open and use when needed.

People will tell you that the oil will ferment, there will be explosions all over the place and that your children will be born with one head, two eyes, ten fingers/toes their own hair......

You can do some thing similar with sugar and vanilla.

3/4 fill a Kilner Jar with granulated sugar, add a couple of split vanilla pods and seal.

Use when making deserts.

Happy to help.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Perhaps an edit of the title to pickling and preserving? Could be an interesting thread. I pickled some cucumber and onions the other day. I've a red cabbage needs pickling when I get a bit of time. I use the Sarsons pickling vinegar it's cheap and comes in a big jar.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Recipe for Garlic Olive Oil from the Ex Mrs Fingerz.

One bottle 8/9ths full of extra virgin olive oil.
A slack handfull of garlic bulbs.

Crush and peel the garlic.
Roughly chop the garlic

Place the garlic into the olive oil and seal.

Open and use when needed.

People will tell you that the oil will ferment, there will be explosions all over the place and that your children will be born with one head, two eyes, ten fingers/toes their own hair......

You can do some thing similar with sugar and vanilla.

3/4 fill a Kilner Jar with granulated sugar, add a couple of split vanilla pods and seal.

Use when making deserts.

Happy to help.
My sister in law always kept her vanilla pods in sugar, was always baking years ago.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
That's just tickled my filthy mind.
Well she's knocking on a bit now, was threatened years ago diet or divorce after my brother found more chocolate hidden in tumble dryer, pressure cooker and at the back of the wardrobe. She made lovely cakes and jams. She used to make apricot jam with blanched almonds in I could just eat it on its own, was fantastic. Turn her hand to baking anything that woman, Christ she was fat.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
When my mother used to salt vegetables for piccalilli I'd be scoffing them like they were going out of fashion. I'll ask her for the recipe, the smell in the house of that being prepared is just fantastic.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Perhaps an edit of the title to pickling and preserving? Could be an interesting thread. I pickled some cucumber and onions the other day. I've a red cabbage needs pickling when I get a bit of time. I use the Sarsons pickling vinegar it's cheap and comes in a big jar.

I'm not after pickling and preserving, that I can do, just infusing oils

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I'm not after pickling and preserving, that I can do, just infusing oils

Fair enough but it is preserving I suppose and a fun thing to do when it's dark and miserable outside.
I struggled a few years ago with carrier bags of blue stalks, drying them was reasonable but it wasn't that good. Trial and error sometimes.

There are generally 3 methods.

1. Blitz and/or heat to infuse, use and chuck in the bin under the 3 day rule.

2. Use dried ingredients but you and I know what that does to most flavours. Lasts indefinitely (not withstanding contamination and moisture introduction.

3. Acidification of additive ingredients by boiling in a white vinegar or similar. Lasts around a month.

Personally I tend to use method 1 at work and combinations of method 2 and 3 at home depending on the ingredient.

Fair enough but it is preserving I suppose and a fun thing to do when it's dark and miserable outside.
I struggled a few years ago with carrier bags of blue stalks, drying them was reasonable but it wasn't that good. Trial and error sometimes.

It is not seen as a preservation method mate, for very good reason. The oil should last forever and most ingredients you want to infuse should too...until you combine the two.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
There are generally 3 methods.

1. Blitz and/or heat to infuse, use and chuck in the bin under the 3 day rule.

2. Use dried ingredients but you and I know what that does to most flavours. Lasts indefinitely (not withstanding contamination and moisture introduction.

3. Acidification of additive ingredients by boiling in a white vinegar or similar. Lasts around a month.

Personally I tend to use method 1 at work and combinations of method 2 and 3 at home depending on the ingredient.

I'm starting off with home grown Chillies and Rosemary in oil, different bottles though.

Latest Threads