Something nice to say about the French?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Airfix, Mar 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I saw the below on the recent posts page 'Random Quote' bit and having read it a couple of times, either Les Froggies are trying to bezzie us up into a new Reich with them and Das Fatherland or Sarkozy was after a shag with Her Maj!

Anyone got anything nice to say in return (apart from us Jocks with 'well done' in the footie ha, ha!)?

In your own time, carry on.....

[align=center]Random Quote:[/align]

"The strength of the British people has always been that of a free people who take their own decisions and are ready for the greatest sacrifices to defend their freedom. How many invincible armadas has your nation defeated? How many battles has it won which everyone thought lost? Your nation has succeeded in taking up so many challenges which seemed out of reach precisely because it quite simply was convinced that its cause was right, because it had faith in itself, in its values, because in all circumstances it has demonstrated an unfailing determination and courage. In this respect, the Battle of Britain was a magnificent achievement. In the hearts and minds, even of those who fought against it, your nation has stood out through its respect of the Other, its tolerance, its way of life, its freedom of spirit which has been forged throughout a long history full of sound and fury. In all circumstances, it has succeeded in remaining itself, continued thinking for itself, and that was enough for it to embody in the eyes of many a human and political ideal. So many peoples of its former colonies have remained attached to it precisely because they had gained their freedom in the very name of the principles whose greatness it had shown them."

from Nicolas Sarkozy's speech to Parliament, 2008 (submitted by armchair_jihad)
  2. I could almost hear the sharp intake of breath as all of France heard what he was saying.
  3. Are we sure he is French?? He doesn't sound like one.
  4. How about "Your Italian wife is a bit of all right, Nicolas."
  5. Here you go -

Lots more at
  6. I see where you're coming from with this, but perhaps he was demonstrating that most French of qualities - being a Cheese Eatting Surrender Monkey... :roll:
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

"Well, that's all very well and good by big nosed mucker from across the water, but just what do you plan on doing about our political pygmies? Have you brought us guns? Guillotines? If you have, welcome, if you haven't, goodbye"
  8. He's French but had Hungarian father and Spanish Jewish mother. Father was in Foreign Legion apparently. That explains it.
  9. The Enlightenment was French and Scottish (and a bit German), so there's that.

And the French have a cracking anthem....

I really enjoyed the Tour before the junkies took over...
  10. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Something nice to say about the French?

They don't live in Britain?

I mean, after a millennium or so of conflict, followed by some serious "Au Secours" activity in the 20th C ... and then post-WW2 a major outbreak of "up yours NATO", and of course the great EU/UE ...

They're just our real good buddies :roll:

I avoid their wine, but the cheeses are OK.
  11. If you like em like ironing boards that is....

Attached Files:

12. I prefere to let Edmund Blackadder comment on the French for me.

Mrs. Miggins: Bonjour, Monsiuer
    Blackadder: Excuse me.
    Mrs. Miggins: It's French.
    Blackadder: So is eating frogs, cruelty to geese and urinating on the streets.

Blackadder: We hate the French! We fight wars against the French! Did all those men die in vain on the fields of Agincourt? Was the man who burned Joan of Arc just wasting good matches?
  13. I think mi olde French mucker has been slipping her it in the rear end... accounting for the slipped disk. And yes to... Ironing boards and anyone know how to get sticky mess from between the keys of mi keyboard?
  14. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Ah-Ha ... you said something nice about the French [in a sort of pan-European Italian way :wink: ]
  15. There's nothing wrong with the french, just as long as they stick to their side of the channel !