Something Kicking Off in Saudi?

Initial reports suggest Iranian supplied missile fired by Houthis in Yemen
Coordinated attack on Najran airport, Jizan airport and Riyadh. To let the Riyadh missile get though I'd hazard.

Riyadh, debris.

Link for comments above

Looking for more details but

I love Adnans comments.
Generally, when the shit hits the fan in that area, the locals who love strutting about and posturing in nice uniforms, are usually the first to scamper off leaving the actual fighting to someone else.
The brave Saudi army lads.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I love Adnans comments.
Generally, when the shit hits the fan in that area, the locals who love strutting about and posturing in nice uniforms, are usually the first to scamper off leaving the actual fighting to someone else.
The brave Saudi army lads.
Their grandfathers and great grandfathers would be ashamed

Well I assume Patriot and Thaad sales will be picking up again.
The Adnan video clip showed what looked very much like one of the interceptors exploding very soon after launch. Not a great advert for Raytheon.

The Adnan video clip showed what looked very much like one of the interceptors exploding very soon after launch. Not a great advert for Raytheon.
Yes, but that could have happened due to a variety of reasons which I don’t think we will find out. Was a nice Roman Candle though.

Weiterleitungshinweis

Now if this true and all 7 were downed, that will be a pretty decent sales pitch.
Given the short-ish range (20km?) of Patriot against ballistic missiles, this infers that all four targets had their own discrete battery defending them. Not entirely sure I believe that, given how many potential targets there are in Saudi and the number of Patriot batteries likely to be available. That's without making an allowance for serviceability.

Then there's people not reacting quickly enough, inferring a possibly unprecedented level of operational efficiency by the Saudis, particularly at night.

One thing is certain, every missile the Houthis fired landed, either in one piece or in fragments. I suspect the former for most of them

THAAD, when it's delivered, might be a game changer but that's some way off yet. Now if they somehow got hold of David's Sling, Barak 8 or one of the Arrow variants, noting this from Wikipedia:

In October 2015, it became publicized that all six countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) were interested in procuring the Israeli David's Sling missile defense system as a response to the Iranian missile threat. This comes after U.S. urging for GCC members to more closely cooperate on missile defense through joint procurement and information sharing. Any deal however would occur between Raytheon and other American companies, partly because of their involvement in the development of the system, and partly because of continuing local attitudes towards Israel.

Unanimously Adopting Resolution 2402 (2018), Security Council Renews Sanctions against Yemen, Rejects Alternate Draft after Veto by Russian Federation | Meetings Coverage and Press Releases
Russian veto of the (alleged) supply of Iranian missiles to the Houthi’s:
That draft would have reaffirmed the applicability of sanctions to activities related to ballistic missile use in Yemen, the provision or transfer of related goods or technologies to listed persons or entities, and the provision of financial, material or technological support to those persons and entities.

It also would have called on all parties to the conflict in Yemen to comply with international humanitarian and human rights law; cease attacks directed at civilians and civilian objects; take all feasible precautions to avoid or minimize harm to civilians and civilian objects; respect and protect medical facilities and personnel; and end the recruitment and use of children.

Given the short-ish range (20km?) of Patriot against ballistic missiles, this infers that all four targets had their own discrete battery defending them. Not entirely sure I believe that, given how many potential targets there are in Saudi and the number of Patriot batteries likely to be available. That's without making an allowance for serviceability.

Then there's people not reacting quickly enough, inferring a possibly unprecedented level of operational efficiency by the Saudis, particularly at night.

One thing is certain, every missile the Houthis fired landed, either in one piece or in fragments. I suspect the former for most of them (...)
In earlier attacks there were reports that at least some of the Houthi missiles were falling apart of their own accord in the later part of their trajectory. Coming down in pieces is not necessarily indicative of having been intercepted.

The ones being aimed at Riyadh are usually being claimed to be aimed at the airport. That is out in the middle of nowhere, so if they are coming down anywhere near their targets their chances of hitting anything other than the ground are fairly small. It is quite possible that the Patriot missiles are doing more damage to Riyadh than the Houthi missiles are.

Overall though, the Houthi missile campaign is more of a propaganda effort than something intended to have a direct influence on the outcome of the war. Given that, the Saudis will naturally claim that their own anti-missiles are 100% effective against all incoming attacks.

The Houthi position seems to be along the lines of "if you bomb our cities, we'll bomb yours". It is intended to undermine support for the war in Saudi Arabia and either get the Saudis to come to the negotiating table or just go home and give up on putting their man in power in Yemen.

The more interesting question is whether the Houthis are working strictly from their pre-war stockpile of missiles, or whether they are somehow smuggling new ones in. If the latter is happening, then that implies a massive hole in the Saudi blockade of Yemen and draws into question whether they can continue to justify blockading food supplies as well. If the former, then the relevant question is whether the Houthis will run out of missiles any time soon.