Something I've always wondered....

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by PartTimePongo, Oct 24, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just out of idle interest, and without compromising OPSEC.....

What is it that TA Slimeys actually do? ;D

You can PM me if it's THAT secret - lol  ;D
  2. In theory, just the same as the regs.  In practice we do as much as the budget allows - try practising your IT skills without computers for instance, it's very zen.  FFR rovers with no radios is another jolly jape the powers that be played on us.  

Certainly when mobilised you just get slotted into a job regardless of whether you're TA or not.  The only real way is to listen for the cries of "conscript !" as people take the mick out of each other.  
  3. To answer your question PTP, they are nearly always expected to do the same as their regular counterparts.

Except they normally get half the training and twice the criticism.

As a percentage of their regular counterparts, they normally represent the largest prportion of any TA cap badge deployed on ops at any one time.

As long as we have to compete with hospitals schools, attack helicopters and the fire brigade, I think we're going to be depending on them for some time to come.
  4. I do the same as my regular counterparts in my workplace and my shorter (practically 'virtual') training doesn't seem to be a hinderance. My own preoccupations or complaints about service conditions are generally different from those of my regular counterparts (god, I hate 1771s!) but, in my place of work, we are fully assimilated (resistance was futile). We are, generally, older than our regular rank equivalents but I don't know how much this makes a difference compared to individual personality/character. Oh, and I hardly ever polish my boots and I change my underwear on a daily basis, unlike my beloved reg colleagues.
  5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

coo - sounds like me...where do I join ?

Le Chevre
  6. Banging on the age difference thing, I have to say that I'm beginning to get the hang of chart music again (can't avoid it in the gym) and have so far managed to avoid saying out loud exactly the sort of thing my parents did - 'you call this music!', 'in my day, songs had lyrics/melody/tunes ...' - but I don't know how much longer I can hold out.

When in a chat over coffee about weekend plans I mentioned that I was planning on having a celebratory shag with spouse (blue moon/birthdays/just can) there was a universal wince and they explained that it was a bit like thinking about their parents doing it ... and would I kindly not put those sick images into their heads. Ageist bastards!
  7. That, I really did not need to know. No wonder they winced. Gunbearer, pass me a bucket!
  8. You're just jealous cos your girlfriend lives in another country and you can't run fast enough to catch your donkey. Even your dog, who will mount anything, won't even give you a sniff! :twisted:
  9. I bought the dog some chips and I think he's coming round to the idea.