Something good for a packed lunch

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by vinniethemanxcat, Dec 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Instead of something from Greggs that leaves the stench of lard on your fingers for hours, I've been doing the wife a bun with something in it, for lunch

Then I've started baking a little extra if I'm doing a roast or casserole on the weekend, to make the most of the oven.

Here's some good ones, filling and fairly healthy.

Banana and date loaf....

3oz soft margarine
    3oz sugar
    1 egg
    3 bananas (very ripe )
    about 12 stoned dates
    about 10 walnuts (optional )
    8oz plain flour
    1 heaped teaspoon baking powder

Roughly chop the dates/ nuts.

Process the egg, margarine, sugar and banana, then add the flour.

Don't add the baking powder unless cooking straight away, add just before putting in the oven.

Put in a greased baking tin and cook for 30- 40 minutes in a 160c oven until just starting to brown, and the top feels firm.

Lovely on it's own or with butter, it's quite heavy so you don't need a huge slice.

West- Indian style bread pudding.

8oz bread with crusts removed
    Half pint milk
    2oz melted butter
    3 oz dark brown sugar
    1 tsp gravy browning (it's dark brown caramel, not Bisto )
    1 heaped tsp mixed spice
    1 beaten egg
    6oz sultanas (even better, soak in sherry or port for an hour, first, just enough to cover, in a mug)
    6 drops of vanilla essence

Mix the bread and milk, leave in a bowl to soak for 30 minutes, then add everything else, stir well and decant into a greased 9in tin.

Start to check it after 30 minutes at 150c, take out and cool when the top feels firm.

Lovely hot with custard or cream, great as a cold snack.

Carrot cake

3 eggs, beaten
    6oz dark brown sugar
    Just under 6 oz (160 gms) corn/ sunflower oil
    5oz grated carrots
    4oz sultanas (pre- soaked in sherry or a little brandy etc plumps them out)
    1 tsp cinnamon
    6 drops vanilla essence
    Half tsp of nutmeg
    6 oz plain flour
    1 heaped tsp baking powder
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Beat together the oil, eggs and sugar, add the carrots, sultanas and spices, then lightly mix in the flour.

Pour into a greased 9in tin and bake at 160c for 30 minutes, then keep checking until firm.

Cool then turn out, I just have it as it comes, if you want it richer spread on a buttercream topping.
  2. Best thing for a packed lunch is a lunch box to pack it in, surely
    • Like Like x 1
  3. [​IMG]

Borrow Jarrod's favourite lunch box if you like........
  4. Curried rabbit pastie. Makes an excellent lunch.
  5. Make your own steamed buns. Normal bread dough - fry up a few pork and beef bangers - slice them and add to fried onion and a bit of gravy, dollop of tomato sauce - place in middle of rolled out circle of bread dough slightly bigger than a CD - fold up sides to cover and pinch together on top. Steam for 20 minutes or so.
  6. The other day for my wife I found a large tupperware box and put a lobster with some water in it.

Garnish and salad was put in a smaller tupperbox... when it was almost time for lunch she microwaved the lobster for 2 hours... apparently it tasted good.
  7. Sorry I just couldnt resist it.
  8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm quite fond of chucking a Goodfellas pizza in the oven the night before, then taking it to work and having it cold the following day.
  9. Cold Jalfreizi in the morning. Mmmmmmm.
  10. Buy a large kebab the night before, put it on the radiator and then you can dip in for some warm donna when ever you want...

It's like the gift that keeps on giving.
  11. 2 Steak-bakes from Greggs and 6 cans of lager. Anybody complains about the smell of lard, fill them in then get your head down in the stationery store 'til knocking off time.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Hmm.. reminds me of a shoot I used to beat on not far from Pangbourn, the beaters were invited to a lunch in the garage of the shoot owners house! I think it was his MiL used to bake a load of mini Cornish Pasties, about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the shop bought jobbies. They were absolutely fantastic washed down with a can or two of beer, especially after a cold morning tramping up & down the Berkshire hills. Being a bit of a pig I used to fill my pockets as well for nibbles later!
    My packed lunch taken on the shoot where I was a member normally consisted of a couple of the small melton mowbray pies with a couple of Pate sandwiches & a flask of homemade soup! Again great for the cold days in winter!!
  13. so you found the tupperware box, did you find the Lobster too or did you have to buy it ?
  14. I want to know what the lobster looked like after 2 hours in the microwave. and did the tupperware melt as well?