Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something From History You Probably Never Knew...

Bodenplatte

War Hero
. . . the latest chancellor has changed Tax, National Insurance Disincrements* etc to.

_____
* RAPC theorized that you didn't contribute NI, they just took it from you. And because your money went down, not up, they were the opposite of increments, so it appeared on your pay statement as Nat Ins D.

The opposite of increments must be excrements, right ?

Sounds like you are just the guy for me to inquire about my 'credits'.:cool:

Credits. I posted this on another thread some time ago.

“Remember in the old days where you didn’t get your whole pay but some of it was held in “credit” to be payed to you when you went on leave? One Christmas one of our lads collected his credits and set off for Aldershot station but nipped into the pub for a quick pint. He woke up next day back in the block surrounded by several hundred pounds worth of Scalextric. Hey ho, Christmas in the block”

Bodenplatte

War Hero

“Remember in the old days where you didn’t get your whole pay but some of it was held in “credit” to be payed to you when you went on leave? One Christmas one of our lads collected his credits and set off for Aldershot station but nipped into the pub for a quick pint. He woke up next day back in the block surrounded by several hundred pounds worth of Scalextric. Hey ho, Christmas in the block”

Yes. On Pay Parade you'd normally get paper money only, and any remaining sum under ten bob or similar foreign money equivalent would just accumulate to your credit. Alternatively you could just elect to draw less than your actual entitlement and allow the credit to accumulate more quickly. There were all sorts of regular stoppages from pay though, the most common being Barrack Damages, Sports Subscriptions, Regimental Association Subs.

As an officer you simply got paid monthly into your bank account, but you could choose to have your pay administered and paid by one of the civilian Army Agents, either Cox and Kings or Holts. You could cash cheques with the unit Paymaster.

I recall a layman's version of helping a wounded man overcome shock: one of our rifleman was wounded in the arm by a shooter in a passing car in Belfast '71. As he awaited the arrival of 'Starlight' someone asked him "Jimmy, sign over your credits mate" He raised a smile and he was ok. We knew he was ok when he replied "fork off you cants"

What's a Scalextric?
22FBC937-AA58-435E-A90C-C23FF7CDCAE3.jpeg

Steady now, he may be a foreigner with quaint traditions different from our own.
Such as never using Google.

Uncultured heathen.

Hopefully that experience put him on the right track...

Biggish

Swinger

TCR kicked Scalextrics arrse.

Unless your private “Le Mans” was scuppered by your idiot older sister, and a carelessly discarded Curly Wurly.

"In 1855 the [Chicago] city council decided that the streets should be raised to a level of four to fourteen feet above the lake. This meant adding several feet of earth under the existing structures. "

"Buildings were lifted up by dozens of men turning dozens of jacks in unison so that new foundations could be built underneath."

TCR kicked Scalextrics arrse.

Unless your private “Le Mans” was scuppered by your idiot older sister, and a carelessly discarded Curly Wurly.
Aaah yes. with a 'jam car' with a mind of its own.

On a sort-of tangent.

You guys remember that submarine move? the one starring a pop star?
Nooo, not that one with jon bon jovi... this one:

Nope, I never knew Lt Werner was a huge star in Hunland.

Grönemeyer starred as war correspondent Lieutenant Werner in Wolfgang Petersen's 1981 film Das Boot, but later focused on his musical career. His fifth album 4630 Bochum (1984) and his 11th album Mensch (2002) are the third and first best-selling records in Germany respectively, making Grönemeyer the most successful artist in Germany with combined album sales over 13 million.

On a sort-of tangent.

You guys remember that submarine move? the one starring a pop star?
Nooo, not that one with jon bon jovi... this one:

Nope, I never knew Lt Werner was a huge star in Hunland.

Grönemeyer starred as war correspondent Lieutenant Werner in Wolfgang Petersen's 1981 film Das Boot, but later focused on his musical career. His fifth album 4630 Bochum (1984) and his 11th album Mensch (2002) are the third and first best-selling records in Germany respectively, making Grönemeyer the most successful artist in Germany with combined album sales over 13 million.
I have visited the submarine base at La Rochelle (La Pallice), where the onshore scenes were shot a number of times. Until recently, you could drive round the fortifications and even through the tunnel separating the two sections. Unfortunately, the port authorities have now erected a high fence around the entire area and the last time I looked, the front was covered in scaffolding and access is prohibited.
006_03.jpg

Latest Threads