Something From History You Probably Never Knew...

Something topical, given the call to topple Nelson from his column.

A suprising number of different nationalities fought in Nelson's navy.

The British Navy during Nelson's time was composed of not only British sailors, but many other nationalities. The crews of the ships that fought at Trafalgar included sailors from America, Ireland, Prussia, Sweden, the West Indies, Africa, and even France and Spain against whom the British were fighting. On Nelson's ship HMS Victory there were 22 nationalities involved in fighting on the British side.

Apart from English, Welsh and Scottish, the Irish were by far the largest contingent with over 3573 men indicating that Ireland was their place of birth. There were over 361 American born sailors. There are examples of Swedes (78), Norwegians (25), Prussians (23), Russians (9), Maltese (25), and Italians (115).

From France there were 20, and Spain 8. Even from land-locked Austria there were at least 5.

From Canada, particularity Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, 31 men. 17 are listed as born in Africa. They were all probably black although race is not given. Similarly 123 from the West Indies. Probably all former slaves, now free men and sailors.
Of course, all those who were listed were telling the truth..

" 'Ere moi luvver, we've been press ganged, O'im gonna be a Swede".
Kissing teeth sound, " F*ck you honkey Ah am a Preeence".

Enter dockyard left some ripped off strumpet:

" How Horatio man, them two's had me and haven't paid like, me McAuley's gonna starve!"

And thus was born the Nelsonian eye...

However, the city that 'owes' most to Von Braun is Antwerp.

'The V-bomb campaign saw more than 850 V-1 and V-2 missiles rain down on the Antwerp city area over a period of 167 days. Another 1,300 fell on the 50 districts surrounding the city. Together the attacks took the lives of more than 3,400 civilians and 700 allied service personnel, and destroyed or damaged more than 90,000 properties. In almost six months of terror, there were just 12 days on which no bombs fell.'

Von Braun used slave labourers to construct the V2s which were built in underground tunnels carved out by the labourers. The V2 is the only weapon where more people died in its construction than were killed by it. Von Braun was a war criminal who, if he hadn't been so useful to the Americans, should have been dangling from a rope alongside the so-called 'good Nazi' Albert Speer who evaded the drop because he managed to claim at Nuremburg that he knew nothing about the use of slaves.

The raid that took out the Supermarine factory at Woolston, leading Vickers to move their HQ to Hursley Park, Winchester, where it remained until Vickers sold the site to IBM by any chance?
Supermarine quickly set up an assembly plant at Eastleigh. Lots of the ancillary engineering was done nearby and carried on.
The much-vaunted manufacturing capability at Castle Bromwich took too long to get going and was the cause of huge worry in government. Understandable, given the times. The factories in the Southampton area carried on.
From our perspective, and the focus on industry and mining’s demise, it’s easily forgotten that the south of England was a centre of industry for a very long time, from Supermarine to Cornish tin mining, Wealden gun makers to the east Kent Coalfield. Within a few miles of Durdle Door there is an oilfield.
I live in south Hants now and an old mucker of mine, now well into his 70s and and keen as mustard as a teenager and and engineer to his marrow, will tell all the stories from liners to Folland.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Supermarine quickly set up an assembly plant at Eastleigh. Lots of the ancillary engineering was done nearby and carried on.
The much-vaunted manufacturing capability at Castle Bromwich took too long to get going and was the cause of huge worry in government. Understandable, given the times. The factories in the Southampton area carried on.
From our perspective, and the focus on industry and mining’s demise, it’s easily forgotten that the south of England was a centre of industry for a very long time, from Supermarine to Cornish tin mining, Wealden gun makers to the east Kent Coalfield. Within a few miles of Durdle Door there is an oilfield.
I live in south Hants now and an old mucker of mine, now well into his 70s and and keen as mustard as a teenager and and engineer to his marrow, will tell all the stories from liners to Folland.
They tested Merlins at Hursley House (now IBM 's auditorium). A recent facelift ripped off cladding to reveal propaganda posters and oily patches. At the same time, The History Channel looked at the Woolston raid and I found myself looking at my place of work on TV.

I mentioned all this on IBM internal forums, then a week later HR phoned. "That piece you put on the forum. Do you mind if we use it?"
"It's public domain."

A week later Meridian TV announced that one of the last female pilots who'd ferried Spitfires from manufacture at Hursley to RNAS Kestrel (now Worthy Down Camp) other side of Winchester, was having a significant birthday. (90? 100?) and IBM had given her a tour around Hursley.

In the late 90s, Vickers' chief test pilot died. A Spitfire flypast was organised. Most of the 3,000 people on site stood on the lawn. I dunno what went through the pilot's mind when he saw this, but he proceeded to beat up the lawn at very low level for about 20min. Not something I'll forget in a hurry.

Last edited:
Something I found out today, when the Italians capitulated in1943, the Japanese attacked their Far East concessions and there was fighting between those elements of the Italian forces that didn’t stay with the fascist sides and the Japanese.

And that’s another thing I found as well, that the Italians had concessions in China up until WW2.

Everyday a learning day.

From Marco Polo Days?
They were part of the Eight Nation Alliance, the ones that trounced the Boxers.

Ryō Kurusu
Son of Saburō Kurusu the Japanese diplomat who delivered Japan's declaration of war on the USA 30 minutes late.

His mother was Alice Jay Little of Chicago. He was the Only Eurasian officer enshrined at Yasukuni. Born in Chicago & a Major in the Imperial Japanese Army he flew the Ki84 and shot down at least one American plane he was accidentally decapitated by an aircraft prop

Latest Threads