Something From History You Probably Never Knew...

Something topical, given the call to topple Nelson from his column.

A suprising number of different nationalities fought in Nelson's navy.

The British Navy during Nelson's time was composed of not only British sailors, but many other nationalities. The crews of the ships that fought at Trafalgar included sailors from America, Ireland, Prussia, Sweden, the West Indies, Africa, and even France and Spain against whom the British were fighting. On Nelson's ship HMS Victory there were 22 nationalities involved in fighting on the British side.

Apart from English, Welsh and Scottish, the Irish were by far the largest contingent with over 3573 men indicating that Ireland was their place of birth. There were over 361 American born sailors. There are examples of Swedes (78), Norwegians (25), Prussians (23), Russians (9), Maltese (25), and Italians (115).

From France there were 20, and Spain 8. Even from land-locked Austria there were at least 5.

From Canada, particularity Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, 31 men. 17 are listed as born in Africa. They were all probably black although race is not given. Similarly 123 from the West Indies. Probably all former slaves, now free men and sailors.
How many from South Sudan... I rest my case.
How many took the Kings shilling?

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
How many from South Sudan... I rest my case.
How many took the Kings shilling?
In those days Britain was more concerned with class than race. As far as the Army and Navy were concerned you were either a gentlemen or scum of the earth regardless of colour, creed or nationality.

The ranks at Waterloo included several black soldiers. It was a bit odd that many ex slaves, gave away their freedom to join the ranks. One soldier of the 71st was an ex slave who ended his service as a sergeant in the 42nd Black Watch Lives matter!

It wasn't until Victoria's reign that service was restricted to Europeans.

That the Andrew and Crab Air were 'Sister Services' to the Army.

Never heard that before, but it was in the official Desert Victory documentary that IWM broadcast on Talking Pictures yesterday.

eta - best documentary Oscar too - Desert Victory (1943) - IMDb

Last edited:
The ranks at Waterloo included several black soldiers. It was a bit odd that many ex slaves, gave away their freedom to join the ranks. One soldier of the 71st was an ex slave who ended his service as a sergeant in the 42nd
Impossible.
Us fighting 250+ years ago alongside black fellows - this goes completely against the Racist narrative.
And them choosing to enlist and fight - for this Country - Liberal heads will explode.

Yes, and no. As far as institutions world-wide go, De La Salle is a not uncommon name, but associated with Jean-Baptiste De La Salle, the founder of the Order of Christian Brothers,
With one notable exception - the Irish fraternity of Christian Brothers was founded by Edmund Ignatius Rice ( 1762 > 1844 ). He was born near Callan in Co. Killkenny on 1st. June 1762. He opened his first school for the education of poor boys in Waterford in 1801.
It was Pope Pius VII, in a Brief issued in 1820,gave to his Institute the approval of the Church under the title of "The Brothers of the Christian Schools of Ireland"

Having had several ear warming sessions from them in my youth, that their history is burned into my psyche. This may explain the Australian / Brisbane association.

With one notable exception - the Irish fraternity of Christian Brothers was founded by Edmund Ignatius Rice ( 1762 > 1844 ). He was born near Callan in Co. Killkenny on 1st. June 1762. He opened his first school for the education of poor boys in Waterford in 1801.
It was Pope Pius VII, in a Brief issued in 1820,gave to his Institute the approval of the Church under the title of "The Brothers of the Christian Schools of Ireland"

Having had several ear warming sessions from them in my youth, that their history is burned into my psyche. This may explain the Australian / Brisbane association.
Ah, the Christian Brothers or “Education by Attrition“ as it came to be known.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Impossible.
Us fighting 250+ years ago alongside black fellows - this goes completely against the Racist narrative.
And them choosing to enlist and fight - for this Country - Liberal heads will explode.
Liberal heads need to visit Trafalgar Square where the brass at the bottom of Nelsons column shows a man with negroid features pointing out the marksman sniper that shot Nelson. Black men were not only at Trafalgar, but their participation was commemorated

BTW, one reason for the popularity of black soldiers was for the band. Apart from the recognition that black men had natural rhythm, bandsmen were dressed in reversed facings. If a unit was dressed in red with yellow facings: (cuffs, collars and linings), the band would be in yellow with red facings,, It was seen as ally in 1815 to have black men in the band or, if you only had one, as drum major.

BTW, one reason for the popularity of black soldiers was for the band. Apart from the recognition that black men had natural rhythm, bandsmen were dressed in reversed facings. If a unit was dressed in red with yellow facings: (cuffs, collars and linings), the band would be in yellow with red facings,, It was seen as ally in 1815 to have black men in the band or, if you only had one, as drum major.
The Turkish Musick - i.e. a percussion section which were added to the Band (all funded by the Officers). The Drums & Fifes were soldiers, as was the Drum Major

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
For the Cousins:

Records are incomplete, but between 7 October 1940 and 6 June 1941 almost 28,000 high explosive bombs and over 400 parachute mines were recorded landing on Greater London. Daylight bombing was abandoned after October 1940 as the Luftwaffe experienced unsustainable losses.

You can see where every bomb fell on London on Bomb Sight's map of the Second World War bomb census.

That period covers ONLY the London Blitz. There is a similar online map for the V-2 rocket strikes on London, courtesy of one SS Sturmbannfuhrer Werner von Braun, later one of NASA's home boys.

1592996424826.png

V2 rocket at Fort Bliss near El Paso Tx - for scale

WWII V2 Rocket Attacks - Dedicated to the Civilian victims.

1592730831090.png

I read that the locations of London's many NCP Car Parks could be neatly transposed as an overlay on the V2 strikes.

Last edited:
Section 4 of the Vagrancy Act 1824 was brought in to target the veterans, the injured and unemployed as a result of of the Battle of Waterloo ( 18 June 1815 ), specifically, the phrase - " the exposure of wounds or deformities to obtain or gather alms. "

Last edited:
Spanish explorers landed on the coast of modern-day Florida, on April 14, 1528. They made the first inland exploration of North America.

Of 300 men on the expedition only four survived.

An early chromatograph @FranciscoPizarro:

la Perroquet dit << Quand c'est Trop? C'est TROPICO! >>

One of the survivors of the expedition, Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, wrote the first book describing the peoples, wildlife, flora and fauna of inland North America in his Relacion, published in Spain in 1542.
A still from Aguirre, The Wrath of God. Set in Peru about an expedition setting out to find Paddington Bear, and not the City of Gold as is oft thought.

There is a similar online map for the V-2 rocket strikes on London, courtesy of one SS Sturmbannfuhrer Werner von Braun, later one of NASA's home boys.
However, the city that 'owes' most to Von Braun is Antwerp.

'The V-bomb campaign saw more than 850 V-1 and V-2 missiles rain down on the Antwerp city area over a period of 167 days. Another 1,300 fell on the 50 districts surrounding the city. Together the attacks took the lives of more than 3,400 civilians and 700 allied service personnel, and destroyed or damaged more than 90,000 properties. In almost six months of terror, there were just 12 days on which no bombs fell.'

HSF

LE
Section 4 of the Vagrancy Act 1824 was brought in to target the veterans, the injured and unemployed as a result of of the Battle of Waterloo ( 18 June 1815 ), specifically, the phrase - " the exposure of wounds or deformities to obtain or gather alms. "
I recall hearing somewhere that Waterloo veterans were awarded a medal & pension?They were known as "the men of Waterloo".I could have been from an old folk song?

I recall hearing somewhere that Waterloo veterans were awarded a medal & pension?They were known as "the men of Waterloo".I could have been from an old folk song?
There was a medal issued to everyone that fought there, which was unique at the time, and from memory being at Waterloo was classed as two years of pensionable service.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
And 32,300 mixed bombs and incendiaries on Southampton, in one 48 hour raid alone. Not as bad as Coventry, though.
The raid that took out the Supermarine factory at Woolston, leading Vickers to move their HQ to Hursley Park, Winchester, where it remained until Vickers sold the site to IBM by any chance?

Tom Lehrer wrote a satirical song about him, leading to an unsuccessful lawsuit. The song can be found on YouTube.

Gather round while I tell you of Werner von Braun
A man whose expedience is ruled by obedience,
"Once the rockets go up,
Who cares where they come down,
Its not my department"
Says Werner von Braun!

Anyone else remember in the 1970’s if you were heading out of London on the M4. Parked in a field just before Perryoaks sewage farm,(Hays&Harlington), There was a black and white quartered V2 on it’s correct transporter trailer. At the time I was told a film company owned it.

Vickers could rebuild quickly, spitfire production got dispersed but an awful lot fell upon the workforce dwellings, harder to replace skilled aero people than machinery. .

Latest Threads