Something From History You Probably Never Knew...

I don't know about the nationality, but I'd definitely be looking for a mountaineer with a grudge.
As opposed to a known NKVD hood who was arrested, convicted and ended his days in Castro's Cuba after release from a Mexican nick.
It was probably Mossad or the CIA even though they didn't exist in 1940.

Definitely not the Russkies mind...

A bartender would be a more likely suspect, Sherlock.

’Sherlock’ was right, though: Trotsky was killed with a mountaineer’s ice axe (almost invariably misnamed as an ice pick in subsequent accounts). A ‘true’ ice pick would have been much too bourgeois - not to say ineffective - for Moscow’s finest in those pre-Novichok days.

’Sherlock’ was right, though: Trotsky was killed with a mountaineer’s ice axe (almost invariably misnamed as an ice pick in subsequent accounts). A ‘true’ ice pick would have been much too bourgeois - not to say ineffective - for Moscow’s finest in those pre-Novichok days.
I stand corrected - and thread lives up to its name :)

It seems the murder weapon is due to go on display in the USA, at the end of this summer:

Bloodstained ice axe used to kill Trotsky emerges after decades in the shadows

In 1874, Sir Clement Roberts Markham wrote a book - ' A Memoir of the Lady Ana De Osorio: Countess of Chinchon and Vice - Queen of Peru (AD 1629 > 39 ) with a plea for the Chinchona Genus.
The haiku of that title tells you exactly what he was like. He led an expedition to Peru to find the seed of the quinine tree to transport it back to India as an Imperial cure for malaria.

(Source - AA Gill's brilliant tome A Line in the Sand when he found the book in an Antiquarian book store in Piccadilly in September 2014. )

Do you know the difference between an antiquarian book shop and a second hand one? About £500.

Putney police station was bombed in 1940 and a one bomb fell through the roof of the section house.

It was defused only for a second bomb to fall through the hole and fail to explode the following night.

Trotsky
Was the second bomb dropped with the first bomb, and only fell out of the wrecked roof the next night? If both bombs were dropped simultaneously and the fuses were not properly armed on release that would be more likely than the statistical near impossibility of a second bomb being dropped through the same hole made by the first bomb a day before.

Last edited:
I have been watching some Russian war dramas and its no surprise to read that of the birth year of 1924 less than 5% survived to 1946. This is the reason men are still outnumbered by women in Russia, its an imbalance unlikely to be corrected ever!
Wouldn't it be naturally corrected by the time most of that generation have died?

A bartender would be a more likely suspect, Sherlock.

Well, well !
For sixty years I have often wondered how bizarre it was for a Russian jew to go to Mexico and get murdered by someone with an ice pick (axe)..…......

Stop the Press !!
Just checked Wikipedia and it definitely says ice axe so bizarreness continues.

@Stonker the Stranglers confused the issue in No More Heroes.

ugly

LE
Wouldn't it be naturally corrected by the time most of that generation have died?
According to 4T it has but many folk claim otherwise.

Me? I'm undecided but tend to believe 4T as he seems to be fairly serious about that sort of stuff.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
If it hadn't been for a maid not doing as she was asked this tale would never have emerged.
Historical Heroines: The Perfect Gentleman
There was a 15th Hussar (or Light Dragoon depending on the date, which I cannot remember offhand) who rose to the rank of Sergeant and wasn't outed as a woman despite being wounded in battle a few times.

Left the army, married an infantryman and had children