Something From History You Probably Never Knew...

Shite suicidal tactics backed with political demands more important than the conservation of your own troops will do that
[COD FRENCH]Listen carefully, a' weel say zees only once[\COD FRENCH] :wink:
In fairness, having a hu-feckin-mungous army, up against folks fighting in defence of their homeland were factors, too.

I don't know, but I can tell you that the losses of the Red Army in the final 6 weeks of WW2 exceeded all the combined losses sustained by America and Great Britain in the entire 6 years of that war.
oh not disputing that Stonker, but the fact remains Uncle Joe wasn't adverse to liquidating anyone who had the audacity to have a different opinion to him

I don't know, but I can tell you that the losses of the Red Army in the final 6 weeks of WW2 exceeded all the combined losses sustained by America and Great Britain in the entire 6 years of that war.
Didn't help Zhukov and Konev deliberately firing on each others units to get to Berlin first

oh not disputing that Stonker, but the fact remains Uncle Joe wasn't adverse to liquidating anyone who had the audacity to have a different opinion to him
It was much worse than that.

The merest possibility that you might offend him, at some unspecified point in a non-specific future, was enough for the Man Of Steel to let slip the dogs of Beria, against you, your family or even your entire community.

But FDR thought he could do business with Uncle Joe.

ugly

LE
I have been watching some Russian war dramas and its no surprise to read that of the birth year of 1924 less than 5% survived to 1946. This is the reason men are still outnumbered by women in Russia, its an imbalance unlikely to be corrected ever!

I have been watching some Russian war dramas and its no surprise to read that of the birth year of 1924 less than 5% survived to 1946. This is the reason men are still outnumbered by women in Russia, its an imbalance unlikely to be corrected ever!
Unless Earth and the other Indians get visas

Nah, the 1928 generation of women are mostly dead by now as well. Subsequent generations of course bred at the normal male/female ratio.

There are still more women than men in Russia today, but thats because male mortality is very high due to alcohol, drugs, heart disease, occupational diseases (mostly no observed safety standards!). Its quite startling and sad to go to a social function such as a wedding, and find that most of the younger women are divorced, and the early middle age ones already widowed.

Incidentally, more of that 1928 generation died in deportations, the Gulag and the Holodomor than in WW2 combat. The effect was somewhat masked because so many women died as well.

Last edited:
Year 988. A huge fleet of 94 Viking ships arrived in the Thames estuary. London put up a good defence and drove the Vikings back, normally they'd enjoyed easy away wins. Our King, Aethelred the Unready, still paid £16,000 to ask them not to come back again and agreed their survivors were allowed to over-winter in Southampton, prior to returning to Scandinavia in the spring.

Guaranteed safe conduct, we robbed them of arms, clothing and booty and kicked them out early. We robbed them, then the Normans, later English civil war soldiers, Italian wine importers, English privateers, French prisoners of war, each other, nearby villages, everybody really. Nothing much has changed to date, it's a rather spirited city.

Year 988. A huge fleet of 94 Viking ships arrived in the Thames estuary. London put up a good defence and drove the Vikings back, normally they'd enjoyed easy away wins. Our King, Aethelred the Unready, still paid £16,000 to ask them not to come back again and agreed their survivors were allowed to over-winter in Southampton, prior to returning to Scandinavia in the spring.

Guaranteed safe conduct, we robbed them of arms, clothing and booty and kicked them out early. We robbed them, then the Normans, later English civil war soldiers, Italian wine importers, English privateers, French prisoners of war, each other, nearby villages, everybody really. Nothing much has changed to date, it's a rather spirited city.
You had a smashing Italian diner back in the mid 1980s: setup like a German schutzenfest, with long trestle tables and benches, so they could always squeeze in a few more after the pubs shut :)

I had more than a few good nights out in Soton, back then.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Stalin didn't always use Beria: there is a story that in the Kremlin lavatory he came up behind one chap who was having a pee and Stalin shot the bloke himself.

Next one: Litvinov lost his job as Foreign Minister when Joe realised that sending a Jew to negotiate THAT pact with Hitler was a touche tactless.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Trotsky was a Jew!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Yokel Health and Fitness 1
A The NAAFI Bar 35
Provost Cookery 49