Something for Walters to bear in mind when Walting...

Britain's oddest laws revealed

Walking home from a DIY shop with a ladder, dressing as a sailor or disturbing people by flying a kite, could all be illegal in Britain under antique laws, it has emerged.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7066783/Britains-oddest-laws-revealed.html

Daily Telegraph article said:
Under the Seamen’s and Soldiers’ False Characters Act of 1906, anyone going to a fancy dress party or stag night dressed as a sailor could be committing an offence of trying to pass themselves off as a member of the armed forces, or in the words of the act, trying to "impersonate the holder of a certificate of service or discharge." The maximum penalty is a month in prison or a £500 fine.
£500 too lenient, perhaps? Maybe throw in a sound beating?

But the 1906 Act is prior to the RAF so one could lawful walt as RAF, though that isn't aspiring to walt very much now is it?

The Uniforms Act 1894 bans the wearing of any item of uniform except for public performances or reenactments, so walting as a RAF is banned too. Of course it'd have to be quiet for plod to start nicking all those builders wearing 95 trousers.

Bravo_Zulu said:
The Uniforms Act 1894 bans the wearing of any item of uniform except for public performances or reenactments, so walting as a RAF is banned too. Of course it'd have to be quiet for plod to start nicking all those builders wearing 95 trousers.
In light of the above, I ammend my earlier post as follows:

Walting as RAF, though that isn't aspiring to walt very much now is it?

:twisted:

Bravo_Zulu said:
Maybe but this law must've been superseeded else how are army surplus stores allowed to trade?

Bravo_Zulu said:
What about all those stripping-policewoman-grams: do they get done for walting too? Or have they gone out of fashion since the 80s?

Hobo-Ken said:
What about all those stripping-policewoman-grams: do they get done for walting too? Or have they gone out of fashion since the 80s?
I'm pretty sure I've read about strippers being arrested for impersonating a police officer, in the last couple of years.

With respect to the seior service, what kind of man goes to a stag party in a sailor's outfit?

Hobo-Ken said:
Bravo_Zulu said:
So did dwarf hurling, and you don't see any dwarf walts.

jimmys_best_mate said:
Hobo-Ken said:
I'm pretty sure I've read about strippers being arrested for impersonating a police officer, in the last couple of years.
In fairness to the strippers at least they are removing the uniform. As long as they take everyting off, fair play to them.

It should be an offence for serving members of the RAF to wear uniform. Bloody walts the lot of em!!

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
The Uniforms Act 1894 is still very much valid - but....

To be found guilty, you would almost certainly have to be doing it to gain some sort of advantage - such as a peuiary one, like asking for a discount at a shop somewhere, or entrance to some place you could not otherwise enter, or something like that. It's still being used, I know of at least one example.

Oyibo said:
With respect to the seior service, what kind of man goes to a stag party in a sailor's outfit?
Elton John's stag do?

Oyibo said:
You have to ask?