Something for the Cabin Crew

Wandered

Swinger
Serious answer? It's not going to happen.
Passengers normally only get upgraded if their cabin is oversold. And then they will pick solo travellers, probably frequent fliers (although they are well aware of those frequent fliers who deliberately book a cabin down on popular routes in anticipation of a cabin move). All this happens before stepping on the aircraft. Sometimes check in staff are incentivised to sell upgrades at the airport and these are usually good value (but may not come with a the meal you might expect as catering is resourced on the booked load and not 'just in case').

Not so serious answer?
Know someone on the crew/airline, but if you are on business and not leisure you can forget it too. Crew are usually happy to help family and friends but not if their employers are tight arses.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The flight I mentioned earlier to the Dom Rep with BA, we flew out in Cattle Class, 9.5 hours in a cramped seat, no chance of getting any sleep (for me anyway, being 6'2", the OH at the time was a lot shorter so had no problems). Got to the airport to fly back 2 weeks later, approached the desk, joined the queue to try to get an upgrade (must have been around 20 of us), a few just walked away when presented with the price per head and a few took advantage of the chance. Actually got to the desk, enquired and paid for the seats (£150 extra each), started walking away and the couple behind got the bums rush as we'd had the last 2, they even whinged that we'd pushed in (we hadn't, we were all going to the queue, they dropped something on the floor and stopped to pick it up and we overtook, life's a bitch sometimes). Seats far bigger, plenty of legroom and some decent scoff and plenty of booze too.
On a flight back from NY a year before, we caught the 09:00 flight out, I'd arrived back at the hotel at around 05:00 a little worse for wear having partied with a few chaperones of girls doing the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade from Tennessee, threw stuff in my bag, met the rest of the group and off we went. Got on the plane and found I was sitting in a row of 4 seats with no one else. We took off and once the seatbelt signs had gone, got horizontal. Woke up as we were approaching Heathrow, having missed all of the meals (my mates told the crew to let me sleep, the cnuts) and with a blanket over me from the crew.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I was fcuking her, not asking her if her middle name was bambi.
Her surname begins with an S.

Nope, different one. I'm away from home for a few weeks but will post up a pic when I get back. What a go'er she was!

Slightly different up grade.

RAF base north Cornwall, air traffic controller "quick call the SWO to get the guard of honour, we've a VIP in 25 minutes".
Much running in circles screaming and shouting.
Air Traffic man, "tell SWO to stand down, it's a Senior Air Craftsman Ewer."

CFB

He had Henry McGee. Mr Pugh ( "P-U-G-H. Poo!" )

Link: Charlie Drake- The Worker

View attachment 612231View attachment 612234
RAF in WW2.Trained as an airgunner (tailgunner). He said he was "The right size for the turret". Served in India. I don't know where else.

I've always hated comedies about incompetent people (e.g. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em), but this one I loved. It's still good. Un-PC, well written and impeccable timing.
Sorry to prick the bubble, he was a sweaty little paedophile as well.
A “ now dead friend witnessed his participation in “ special parties” as a young boy. Shudder!
sorry for thread drift but that monster shouldn’t be lauded.

Allan74

Old-Salt
Another in these 'How to get an upgrade' articles, usually rubbish and this week's one was no exception;
<<
Flight attendant Helena Afroughi explained: "What always works is when people bring some sweets to the crew, chocolates or whatever. And they make themselves known. Don't just give it and run away.
>>
The practice it not new, was discussed a while back on a frequent Flyer Forum and there are actually people who do this, giving boxes of chocolates or gifts to the cabin crew- 'to show appreciation'
Not something I've even considered doing and I'm not going to start now, to me it's creepy and, however much the giver denies it, there's usually an expectation to something, like better service.

No one ever seems to produce the gift when they are leaving the plane.
"They are always so grateful" Of course they are, no cabin crew member is going to say "keep your sodding chocolates." however much they may be thinking it.
I guess if it's something you do, then you will defend the practice

Link is from the Express but the article has been widely syndicated.

How to get upgraded

If pleasing these professionals doing their job is so important, why not have a whip-round among the passengers ? - always worked for Fred the charabanc driver in the old days.
But in air travel terms...wouldn't Fred be the pilot?
I'll get me coat.

First trip ever to the USA flying American Airlines from Luton back in 1988. Wife and myself in the departure lounge, they start calling everyone up for their seats and we are the only two left in the lounge. “Errm, excuse me you haven’t called us up”.

The nice lady smiled and said words to the effect of, “I know love, go sit back down”. A few minutes later she waved us up, scribbled something on our boarding passes and wished us a good flight. When we got to the plane the stewardess lookedmat the passes and waved us off to the left.

We never figured out why, but we had been allocated some very nice business class seats.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you want to get free upgrades on BA bedcome an MP, or member of the house of lords. The word was that BA has them on their database and they get auto-upgrades when buying a normal ticket. Similar with movie star types who use the larger international carriers, buy a cheapo ticket and pick up an upgrade.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My last personally paid for upgrade was at Frankfurt. Lufthansa sell off their empty first, business, and upper cattle class seats cheap. They charge 500 euros per level that you upgrade. I was in upper cattle and moved to business for the 500, which was cheaper than the 1000+ extra it would have cost if I had bought it when booking.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As an FYI when they move boxhead military around on civvy flights they get warrants for business class.

Last edited:
First trip ever to the USA flying American Airlines from Luton back in 1988. Wife and myself in the departure lounge, they start calling everyone up for their seats and we are the only two left in the lounge. “Errm, excuse me you haven’t called us up”.

The nice lady smiled and said words to the effect of, “I know love, go sit back down”. A few minutes later she waved us up, scribbled something on our boarding passes and wished us a good flight. When we got to the plane the stewardess lookedmat the passes and waved us off to the right.

We never figured out why, but we had been allocated some very nice business class seats.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If yo,want to get free upgrades on BA bedcome an MP, or member of the house of lords. The word was that BA has them on their database and they get auto-upgrades when buying a normal ticket. Similar with movie star types who use the larger international carriers, buy a cheapo ticket and pick up an upgrade.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My last personally paid for upgrade was at Frankfurt. Lufthansa sell off their empty first, business, and upper cattle class seats cheap. They charge 500 euros per level that you upgrade. I was in upper cattle and moved to business for the 500, which was cheaper than the 1000+ extra it would have cost if I had bought it when booking.
There is a semi-automated/automated rewards system in place at BA for frequent flyers but FWIW I’ve seen a few MPs and members of the HoL (including at least one ex-cabinet minister) “down the back” on BA services.…

There is a semi-automated/automated rewards system in place at BA for frequent flyers but FWIW I’ve seen a few MPs and members of the HoL (including at least one ex-cabinet minister) “down the back” on BA services.…

Likewise. I flew back and forth regularly with a couple in and out of Aldergrove, Enoch Powell being one of - them usually with his wife.

I was told by a former BA employee who worked for the Mrs at Barclays head office (12/13 years ago) that they get the upgrades. It may just be for official flights using travel warrants, MP’s get a number of those annually.

Last edited:
I flew to Munich for Oktoberfest in an Embraer something a couple of years back. Small jet, 4 seats wide. I was sitting in the first row behind business class, no curtains or anything, so I could see what I was missing - a paper headrest cover with ‘Business Class’ printed on it... Ironically, as ØA was mid - knee surgery, everyone had to wait outside while they ran the cherry picker across to load us.

Latest Threads