Something for the Cabin Crew

‘94 After a night on the Lisburn strip after not drinking for months, I was the worse for wear on the flight home. A lovely stewardess looked after me; iced water, cold flannel, mopped my brow. My mate reckoned I was in there, I wasn’t interested due to the state I was in. It did strike me later that I must be the only person who can be more attractive through barfing into a sick bag.

SpiderFox

Clanker
Is it really worth it for 3 better meals and a few hours better sleep. 3 better meals at a grand per meal? If you do get a BC seat its either get some sleep or binge on the food, drinks and films. Either or, not both.
I've flown London to Australia and back half a dozen times in economy; 20+ hours with no stop-overs. I was a bit younger and adventurous then and was quite happy cramming myself into a window seat for the journey.

Not so now. Went with the wife in 2016; Emirates Business Class. Not cheap, but we actually looked forward to the flights instead of dreading them.

Wee Hawken

War Hero
A few years ago, now. On arrival at LHR on the red-eye from LAX, the first passenger to disembark from First was Mick Jagger.
As he passed the first row of Club, where I was sitting,
BA presumably.

If so, he would at least have got a proper seat in 1st. BA biz class - fat chance unless on A350.

jinxy

LE
When I was in Hong Kong a message came saying we had a new arrival, I looked at the name and thought, I was one of his training NCOs. So I go to Kia Tak, the old one, to pick him up. Meet up and on our way back to Sek Kong, he asks "Do you know where the Royal Gardens is" or course say's eye. Good, he says, we're going there tonight, I have a date with the cabin crew.

When he said cabin crew, he meant it. Including the Pilots. We met and went for a meal, all of us, was a great night out. Smooth bugger had pulled a stewardess on the flight from UK. He's a male model now and an actor

And a curtain on most of the flights I have had.
On some of my flights the inflight entertainment was Bingo in Malay

i managed an upgrade from Phuket to Heathrow. The damn baggage machine threw a hissing fit and shot out removing my toe nail. Lots of blood everywhere, it was so fast i hardly noticed. Queue lots of airline staff, i am whisked off to the terminal nurse who cleans it and bandages my toe. Packed off to Bangkok in a wheel chair, no messing about with departures. In Bangkok some Thai airways big wig worried about a law suit presents. I ask him to put me in hospital or send me home business class so my foot can be elevated. It was a lovely journey, flight attendants fussing over me, no queueing at BKK or LHR and a great nights sleep on a flat bed!

Wife collects me from LHR asking why i was so happy, i am usually grumpy as i can’t sleep in economy. I pointed at my toe and said business class..I now only go business on long haul. Being able to sleep in a “bed” and arriving refreshed is worth every penny IMO on a 10 hr+ night flight.

I've flown London to Australia and back half a dozen times in economy; 20+ hours with no stop-overs. I was a bit younger and adventurous then and was quite happy cramming myself into a window seat for the journey.

Not so now. Went with the wife in 2016; Emirates Business Class. Not cheap, but we actually looked forward to the flights instead of dreading them.
I have only ever done it four times. And that's with stopovers. Never again, if I do it again it will be Buisiness Class. Save a bit of money towards the cost by cutting out the stopovers.

Many moons ago i used to work on a clients car. He was an old school baggage handler for BA and had been doing it for twenty or so years so he was on an ancient union rules contract.
He used to pay 10% of regular price if any seats were not sold.
Concord to NY for £50.00
He said that he did not really enjoy flying, so hardly ever used the perk.
He was also a Bubble, and one of my mates who was also from Cyprus Got him, his missus and two kids first class return flights to Limassol for £ 50.00.
My mate did service his car though which took him about twenty minutes on a Saturday morning.

Last edited:
I don’t fly anymore. A very uncomfortable experience for wheelchair users. Airlines could and should do better.
It wasn't that comfortable the time you went flying that resulted in a wheelchair

I failed miserably when I asked for an upgrade on the Newquay to St Mary’s, Scilly flight.
Last time I flew into St Mary’s, it was in a 747. I was still doing 120kts at the end of the runway and only the trees stopped me going into the sea.

stupid flight simulator… there aren’t any trees.

Many moons ago i used to work on a clients car. He was an old school baggage handler for BA and had been doing it for twenty or so years so he was on an ancient union rules contract.
He used to pay 10% of regular price if any seats were not sold.
Concord to NY for £50.00
He said that he did not really enjoy flying, so hardly ever used the perk.
He was also a Bubble, and one of my mates who was also from Cyprus Got him, his missus and two kids first class return flights to Limassol for £ 50.00.
My mate did service his car though which took him about twenty minutes on a Saturday morning.

In reality there were however a couple of issues that could take the shine off BA staff travel…

One was that the “regular price” was set in stone in some matrix hidden somewhere in a back office that seemed to be based on fares in the 1960s…in recent years with the advent of more dynamic ticketing/internet sales it was quite possible many commercial pax on a particular flight had paid less for their flight than an employee lurking at the gate with a standby ticket, hoping for a seat.

And on that point ultimately all BA staff travel tickets were standby, you were never “on” a flight until it was off the ground.

Hand a note to the CC on headed notepaper FAO the chaps up-front that as a highly-trained Air Traffic Control Assistant you'd be more than happy to offer your assistance in the event of an emergency.
Ah, I remember this and even did a spoof advert (the ones on ARRSE were boring so I decided to do a few of my own):

RAF Upgrade.png

I wonder if he got his free posting...

Tends to be no cabin partition just nicer seats at the front
Did fly to Oz from NZ quite a few times, to connect to flights to UK. The long leg was Business Class, and we got that on the short flight to Oz as well. As Andy said, seats a bit nicer, and slight improvement on the food.
There was a half curtain between us and the Hoi polloi.

Did fly to Oz from NZ quite a few times, to connect to flights to UK. The long leg was Business Class, and we got that on the short flight to Oz as well. As Andy said, seats a bit nicer, and slight improvement on the food.
Singapore to Manila, no curtains, only a 3hr flight.
Once flew Air Cebu the other way in an ancient 737. Ground crew beating the crap out of the front gear with hammers. Crew not been paid a full wage in months and had given up trying to smile.
As I said, only flew it once with Air Cebu

I only ever made the trip via La once. And once was a trip too many. Treated like sh1t by the septics. (And Air NZ are really stingy with the beer.)
Going the other way with Emirates absolutely lovely: no being locked in the transit lounge, able to have a wander round the terminal (in other words, spend money) and places to have a smoke.