Something for all the smokers out there...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Apr 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

BBC News - Cigarette packet branding to face consultation (c) Auntie

Looks like the days of brightly coloured packets could be numbered.

On the bright side, it'll make spotting the smuggled, fake, and non-dutied fags easier to spot.

I wonder if Lansley has spoken to the Treasury about this.

2. I am so glad they are cracking on with that. I only smoke because of the lovely boxes.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Why bother? About 60% of fag packets are blue anyway. Plus I like to think of the new colour as "A style of British racing green". Nice!
    But Fingerz - There is one style of Chinese fags that literally make them to be illegally imported in to other countries. Someone would make a killing out of targeting the British market. I smoke rollies, but make them for my wife and some roll her a few (Isn't love great) and then put them in an ordinary box. Same could be done with smuggled.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

4. How the **** are you supposed to know if the fag you're blagging off someone is of the appropriate quality?
    You could end up gagging on a Lambert and Butler FFS!
    And there will be the sicko deliberately sharing out the vile Disque Bleus.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It would still have to have the company name on it - Otherwise shops could rip you off saying you're getting Silk Cut, when they're actually Royal's.

6. Sorry to add Fingerz, (Not having a go here) But where you said about spotting illegal imports - It won't work. I was just looking on-line about Aussie's doing the same removing branding and they're goinbg for Olive green as well! So really you could end with 5 or 6 countries all using the same style of "plain" packets.
    Linky -
    BBC News - Australia cigarette 'plain packaging' law passes Senate

7. I only smoke these sexy ciggys, so I'll be ok:

Sobranie-Cocktail-Cigarette.jpg

8. Very good point but I'm sure there'll be some way to distinguish between brands, plain black writing or something.

I hope its easier than that, to save me wearing my bollocks for earrings when I get sent for fags and come back with the wrong kind. I just grunt and point at the silver packet and hand over my hard earned, if this goes through I'll need to talk to the inbred mong behind the counter which is not my idea of a fun Tuesday afternoon.

9. Absolutely not gayer cigs for the uber-hetero man. Posh birds will look at you and dehydrate.

10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Figures relate to 2006/07 in this article which dates from 2009 Revealed: £2bn cost to UK from cigarette smuggling - Telegraph It hasn't gotten any better for the Govt.

11. Completely off topic but I wonder if the TMA spokesperson Jane Chisholm-Caunt has to correct peoples pronunciation of her name very often?

12. I thought of you are more a Black Russian type.

13. Hermer. The black Sobranies are the ones you want. I haven't bought them for years, **** knows what they cost now.

14. Indeed! I don't walk with a skip, or talk with a lithp. I look hot as **** with one of those hanging out me gob.

Failing that, I bought these bad boys back from Cuba with me:

cigars.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. So if the government insists that terrorists bung on identical black ski masks to hide their true identities, they'll be less likely to kill people? Or something like that.