some REALLY old medals

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by flotsamandjetsam, Jun 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I recently inherited my great-grandfather's old medals from World War 1, which having spent the past 50 odd years in storage are rather worse for wear, with rust, ribbons almost disintegrating. Can anyone advise some professional cleaners in the London area? I tried using the search button here, but it was all about more recent medals, and these ones need real care to stop them collapsing on themselves!

Also, they are foreign medals, so would the ribbons be able to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered,
    Luke

2. I use this chap:
    Raymond Holditch

3. Rust? Photos please!

4. Like anything, you have to be careful when entrusting valuable items to experts for cleaning/mounting etc... There are some awful jokers out there. Try asking on this forum: http://www.britishmedalforum.com/. It's probably the most serious British Medals-oriented forum. You'll get good advice. In the meantime, do not use Brasso, Silvo or anything like that on them!

PK

5. SPINKS of London - the auction house mount medals apparently, although I can't help you with their prices. Try their website. www.spink.com. Alternatively try the uk veterans agency or Royal British Legion websites for links.

6. SPINKS of London - the auction house mount medals apparently, although I can't help you with their prices. Try their website. www.spink.com. Alternatively try the uk veterans agency or Royal British Legion websites for links.