Some Quotes from Presidnt Reagan

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Jul 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I think some of these quotes may also apply to the UK's Government & Civil service as well.

New edit: Rant on:

Note: I'm well aware that as most Presidents and Heads of State do, Reagan had speech writers. I'm also aware, that he, like all of us, occasionally goofed up and said some strange off the wall things, etc.

It would seem, the a few here, would rather turn this into something which was not intended, instead of taking the quotes, as stated, for just what they were, sort of humorous remarks, about governments and life in general.

I guess some here, are so anxious to bait Americans, or express their dislike of Americans, that they try to turn anything Americans' do in the world to crappy stuff, that fits their personal opinions, of our Country, its' foreign policies, its People and Leaders. Those who do this, should notice, that Americans, in our Country and on this board, do NOT engage in this sort of crap. If we did it on this board, we would be gone in short order.

As for the weapons to the Afgan's, Are we trying to say here that it was a bad move? IMHO: I don't think so. They kicked the USSR's butt out of Afganistan with these weapons didn't they? This contributed, to the end of the cold war and the break down of the USSR.

Also IMHO the old USSR & perhaps the new Russia, China, France, Other European countries and North Korea, have made more weapons systems, etc. available to them then anything we might have given them through the CIA's program to supply them with weapons.

The only weapon that we need worry about in that supply, is the shoulder fired ant-aircraft missles. Most of these are outdated by now and most would likely fail to operate. The Russians and Chinese have supplied more modern ones, to Iran and other mid-East countries by now.

Rant off:

"Here's my strategy on the Cold War:
    We win, they lose."

- Ronald Reagan

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from
    the government and I'm here to help."

- Ronald Reagan

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're
    ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so."

- Ronald Reagan

"Of the four wars in my lifetime none came about because the U.S.
    was too strong"

- Ronald Reagan

"I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandment's would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress."

- Ronald Reagan

"The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal
    government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination."

- Ronald Reagan

"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big
    appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

- Ronald Reagan

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
    be a nation gone under."

- Ronald Reagan

"The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth
    is a government program."

- Ronald Reagan

"I've laid down the law, though, to everyone from now on about
    anything that happens: no matter what time it is, wake me, even if
    it's in the middle of a Cabinet meeting."

- Ronald Reagan

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
    I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

- Ronald Reagan

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few
    short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate
    it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

- Ronald Reagan

"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many
    rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."

- Ronald Reagan

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so
    formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

- Ronald Reagan
  2. Allow me to add my personal favorite:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world. The US Marines will never have that problem."
  3. what about:

"Here Osama have several thousand dollars, and a few bits of our military equipment, Just keep the ruskies out of Afgahnistan, and dont lend any of this stuff to the Iranians when you're done"
  4. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Sorry, I don't think that your quote above is a quote from the "Great Communicator."

It really sounds like you sort of made it up yourself to what purpose? :roll:
  5. "My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

- Ronald Reagan

I remember it well ...
  6. To irritate you until you respond to my questions in the "America - I love you" thread?

reagarding reasons for the US being late to the party in 44
  7. "Who are you? Where are we? Who am I?"
  8. Please, Trip-Wire, tell me you DID understand this!

Clearly, this is Pillager pointing out, quite rightly, about the origin of weaponry in Afghanistan. And also possibly pointing out the two-facedness (a word? :? ) of America (not just America, many other countries as well), in that after providing weaponry to Afghanistan to fight commies, they honestly never thought it might bite them in the Arrse? :D
  9. Seriously, he actually said the following:

"We are trying to get unemployment to go up, and I think we're going to succeed."

"Trees cause more pollution than automobiles."

"How are you, Mr. Mayor? I'm glad to meet you. How are things in your city?" –greeting Samual Pierce, his secretary of Housing and Urban Development, during a White House reception for mayors

"What does an actor know about politics?" –criticizing Ed Asner for opposing American foreign policy

"What makes him think a middle-aged actor, who's played with a chimp, could have a future in politics?" -on Clint Eastwood's bid to become mayor of Carmel

"Well, I learned a lot....I went down to (Latin America) to find out from them and (learn) their views. You'd be surprised. They're all individual countries"

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk."

And let us not forget all the times he'd recount a story he thought was true, when in fact it had come from a movie and the time he referred to army uniforms as "costumes". Great entertainment!
  10. Might also explain, how the Chinese, and the Iranians are presently holding weapons of surprisingly similiar heritage to US weapons systems of the 1980's, yet with no trail of similair products in their own arsenals.
  11. Oh and Trip_Wire, while those words were delivered by Reagan they are the words of the likes of Peggy Noonan, Tony Dolan, Ben Elliott, Clark Judge, Dana Rohrabacher, Josh Gilder and Peter Robinson- his speechwriters.

In his unscripted moments, you often heard the sort of thing I mention above.
  12. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Don't hold your breath! Well, on the other hand, maybe you should! :p
  13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I know what he was trying to say or imply. What I was pointing out to him, was that what he said, was not a quote from President Reagan. Right?
  14. All of the work I did this morning's now covered in Nescafe, you barsteward!