Some questions I still have...

Which Role would you go for?

• Guardsman

• Special Gunfire Observer

• Infantry

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hello, First of all I'd like to apologise for the more than likely long winded and large post I am about to do, it has to be like this because all the questions I have seem to have around 4 different answers on different forums and the actual Army website! So I decided to go for it and go and post my first post.

First of all the reason I am applying to join the army is I want a job that will develop me as a person and more than that I can create a career from and I have friends in the REME and infantry who say it's the best decision they've ever made.

I'm 18 years old, 6'2", and I'm not superman fit but I am at a decent level of fitness. I have 2 a* and 7 b grade GCSES but no A-levels. (I do have an AAT in accounting but that probebly counts for nothing). I have done my application and seen the AFCO office for my interview, which they did suggest I go for a trade rather than a combat based role, to which I declined due to the fact that so far none of the trades interest me (the ones I've seen anyway), I'm currently waiting for my medical forms to get back from my doctors so I can go to the next AC date.

I was told to put down 3 roles I would like to do, after a lot of research on the role finder I chose the roles; Guardsman (grenadier or Coldstream), special gunfire observer and the infantry. Now this is where my questions come in!

1. Which should I chose!

2. Is the runtime on the 4/73 Battery (SGO) 13:15 or 10:30. Because both have been reported on ARRSE

3. At the AC, what run times should I aim for, to get the best grade (A or B)

4. Finally at the AFCO I was told if I chose the artillery, the joining process was slightly different and that they enter you into an all around artillery training group for phase 1, although when I finish phase 1 I would get to chose my role, whereas on another post it says that once you join the artillery you sort of get slumped with whatever role needs the numbers (which I don't want to happen!)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully you can help me!

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I wouldn't get advice for which role to take from anonymous people from the internet, especially not this particular group of anonymous people .

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Hello, First of all I'd like to apologise for the more than likely long winded and large post I am about to do, it has to be like this because all the questions I have seem to have around 4 different answers on different forums and the actual Army website! So I decided to go for it and go and post my first post.

First of all the reason I am applying to join the army is I want a job that will develop me as a person and more than that I can create a career from and I have friends in the REME and infantry who say it's the best decision they've ever made.

I'm 18 years old, 6'2", and I'm not superman fit but I am at a decent level of fitness. I have 2 a* and 7 b grade GCSES but no A-levels. (I do have an AAT in accounting but that probebly counts for nothing). I have done my application and seen the AFCO office for my interview, which they did suggest I go for a trade rather than a combat based role, to which I declined due to the fact that so far none of the trades interest me (the ones I've seen anyway), I'm currently waiting for my medical forms to get back from my doctors so I can go to the next AC date.

I was told to put down 3 roles I would like to do, after a lot of research on the role finder I chose the roles; Guardsman (grenadier or Coldstream), special gunfire observer and the infantry. Now this is where my questions come in!

1. Which should I chose!

2. Is the runtime on the 4/73 Battery (SGO) 13:15 or 10:30. Because both have been reported on ARRSE

3. At the AC, what run times should I aim for, to get the best grade (A or B)

4. Finally at the AFCO I was told if I chose the artillery, the joining process was slightly different and that they enter you into an all around artillery training group for phase 1, although when I finish phase 1 I would get to chose my role, whereas on another post it says that once you join the artillery you sort of get slumped with whatever role needs the numbers (which I don't want to happen!)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully you can help me!
Try here: The "what trade should I go for" thread - 2017

I voted for the one that said I'd be special, if that's any consolation.

You have been given a very cogent answer in the first answer to your post from @theoriginalphantom. You'd be best thinking it out for yourself from a perusal of the information available to you from current recruiting sources. Most of the members of this site are ancient (like me) or crusty adherents to some regimental cap badge or other, so getting decent advice will be like waiting for a rocking horse to produce ordure for your roses.

Remember, you are joining the Army first. You will hear this a lot "Soldier first, tradesman second". But what trade you do of course can influence a lot whether you enjoy that "soldier stuff". I am surprised you have not found a trade you like. The Army I know on FB were putting video clips of different trades recently and if you YouTube search "Army Jobs" there is a lot on there...in fact I have done it for you :
ARMYjobs
Being a Guardsman and lnfantry can be quite different. Most obvious is Ceremonial stuff which I would rather drink bleach than do what they do, but each to their own.
You seem to have done well at Skool so look at a trade trade than the ones you have mentioned (no disrespect to Inf/Gds!)

Unlike my stepson who did shite in Skool, took him to the Careers Office and all he was bothered about was if his mates could visit him for the weekend during training on their ******* 50cc scooters and not happy that he would have to take out his ******* stupid washer like earring thing!
He is washing pots and pans in a pub....tit.

which they did suggest I go for a trade rather than a combat based role

You appear to be quite lucid and intelligent, (albeit based on a couple of paragraphs) and I would agree with the AFCO. Think about your future when you leave the Army.

I wasn't RE, but work in construction now, and wished I had got coursed up and qualified at their expense! Working at a trade you enjoy is interesting, challenging and preferable to stagging on and marching up and down, which incidentally, you will do enough of, whoever you join.

Infantry, carries lots of weight and ammunintion into battle in a big bag. Sometimes they get a lift. Spend most of your time waiting around being bored.

Guardsman, same as above but add in polishing stuff with particular emphasis on waiting around being pointed at by tourists.

SGO could be interesting work. You'll spend time working with Special Forces doing some sneaky beaky stuff and go all over the world doing it but at the end of the day your job consists of waiting around in a bush or hole for weeks in enemy territory.

Having a trade will see you doing what is like a normal job on civvy street but with all the perks that the 3 above jobs get.

Latest Threads