some questions about sandhurst

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by pothy, Feb 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I intend to join the Army as an Intelligence Officer the second I get out of university. I've talked to an army careers councillor several times, but never asked him about a question that has been bugging me:

- What are the ocular requirements for joining? How many people who have laser eye surgery get accepted? I'm pretty I'm either on the limit or slightly over.

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.
  2. If you're already in Uni then Ill get back to you.
    If you're going to Uni - I Recommend researching Welbeck.
  3. Errrrrrrr except that Welbeck is a 6th Form College so not much use if you are just about to go to Uni since you will presumably already have passed A levels ?????
  4. first things first! pothy the inital bold comment "oxymoron", second bold comment "Army Careers press gang/bums on seats merchant"and you said your pretty? so be it, but so long as your not wishing to go pilot and you're not completely blind you will be fine in most arms and corps.
  5. And how exactly is it an oxymoron, Guiness? And I am in the process of doing my A-levels. I would still like to know what the army policy is on laser eye surgery? I couldn't find anything about it on the website, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.
  6. Eyesight standards for the Intelligence Corps are not the most exacting as has been said before. Laser eye surgery used to be frowned upon but I believe that certain types are now acceptable. It sounds to me as if you are considering having it done in order to get in. My advice before having any elective surgery is to establish beyond doubt that your eyesight standards are below the required standard before you do anything and in which case you might consider looking at the RAMC Forums or posting the question there as a form of initial research. Ideally you should go back to your recruiter and ask the question there.
  7. Thanks, combatintman.
    Also, one other thing. It may sound stupid, but it is genuinely worrying me. What does everyone really think of the Intelligence Corps? And please no sarcasm, I honestly want to know.
  8. The word used was oxymoron! Says it all! :D

9. Ask about university funding..Then they'll probably be pretty interested in you.
  10. does anyone know roughly how much the army'll fund you?
  11. When I was at RMAS the green slime seemed to want to recruit from a 'fifth quartile' of mongs. Once in the wider Army for every good Int Corps offr there did seem to be a surfeit of said individuals. Remarkably, two of the more interesting and useful Int Offrs I worked with turned out to be TA!

I'm sure things have changed. The Int Corps does have some very impressive NCOs and SNCOs with whom it was a pleasure to work from time to time.