Some questins about army/fitness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kev0909, Jan 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    Recently i have became very intrested in joining the army . i have been thinking about it alot the last month, i'm 16 and left school last year, with grades D's and E's.... and at the moment i'm not doing anything and it's about time i start sorting my life out. :wink:

However i have alot of problems..

at the moment i'm nowhere near the requried weight/physical to past the fitness test

I'm 14 stone male, and around the average height for my age i was wondering if using the Army exercise plan help me lose weight while getting prepared more,http://www.armyfit.mod.uk/ at the moment i also have low self-esteem, which i need to sort out if anyone has any tips :p

Also i cant Swim will this matter? or will i need to learn before training and i'm not a good climber at all, and i saw in some vids, you do alot

Anyway thanks for reading any help is welcome, (sorry for long post:p)
    (hope this is in the right place)
    last thing is it worth me trying at all or not? :roll:

2. You're right it is about time you sort your life out, so nice one if you actually put the effort in to do it.

Any decent exercise will help you lose wait and get fit. Sort out your own fitness plan if you want, just write it down so you actually have something that you can follow and it'll make it easier to stick to. Run 3/4 times a week (rest days in between), do as much as you can handle and build it up. Also practise pressups, you need to be able to do around 40 in 2 mins for selection, doing a few exercises like tricep dips wouldn't hurt either, upperbody strength is important too.

Low self esteem? Well, wont losing weight and getting fit help with that? And the fact you know you're working towards a career that people will look upto you for and be proud of you for doing. Endorphines released from your training should lift your mood slightly anyway.

I dont think being able to swim matters, I remember reading that they sort it out in Phase1 or something? I dont really know. And no, you dont need to be a good climber.. you'll get taught things like that, the Army will teach you everything you need to know, all you need is a fairly decent level of fitness to start with.

3. Wah filter off. Good luck with it.

4. "Yes. Stop telling everyone you have low self esteem. I recommend having high self esteem. It's up to you how you percieve yourself. Show some belief in yourself and you'll be amazed how much less inclined towards slitting your wrists you'll feel."

Excellant advice.

Good luck Kev, looks like 2009 is the year you turn your life around. There will be times when you will wish you never thought of this and don't want to get out of bed and go for a run but DON'T GIVE UP! Get fit and join the Army and you will look back.

5. Have you attempted the Army fitness test standard? I know plenty of people over 14 stone who have no problems with it.

6. Think about your previous successes not your previous failures.

7. Kev,

I am sure if you want it then you can achieve it. As has been mentioned before it is a New Year time to start again, you can achieve it if you put your mind to it.

I wish you all the best, good luck.

:D

8. Hi Kevin,
    You are already showing a positive attitude which will lead to greater self confidence. With regards to your fitness ,can you run for half an hour? If you can,running for half an hour 5-6 times a week at 60-70% of your max heart rate will help to improve your fitness. Once that becomes easy go to 70-80%. or you could try this HERE it is a 16 week program developed by the Army Physical Training Corps.
    Have you thought of getting a part time job? Not a pop at you but will help you improve your confidence, develop communication skills and team work. Your belief in yourself will rise and you get money too :)
    Have you looked at improving your Maths and English GCSE grades? No drama if you feel you can't but getting two C's will help.

9. Im currently 17 and weighing at 14 stone ( still need to work on that ) and I have no problems at all with the fitness tests. :)

10. Go into the careers office tomorrow. You are nowhere near fit enough yet, but it's all about little steps, and if you go in tomorrow then you're taking the first step towards your goal. Don't think about all the challenges you have to face in one go, just take it one step at a time... but make sure you take that fist step now, like immediately, or else it's too easy to just become another fat middle aged waster working in Mcd's and boring everyone with stories about how you were going to be this hyperfit steely eyed dealer of death.

To be honest, most people at your age have low self esteem, most hide it, or don't recognise it. Just ignore it and get one with living, learn to say yes to new things, to push yourself, teach yourself to think "i can do it" rather than "i can't"... either way i'm sure you'll grow out of it in time - even quicker if you do something like serving in the forces!

11. Good luck kev, i think you've got it in you to succeed in the army as long as you work towards your goal 100% :D

12. Let me get this straight.
    You're fat, unfit, dim and lazy. You can't climb or swim; and you have low self esteem.
    I'd love to know how you ran through that little self assessment and decided that soldiering was the career for you.

13. Anything is in your reach. Anyone who says it isn't is just projecting their own insecurities onto you. Go for it mate, 110% and you WILL achieve your goals. I found running incredibly difficult at first but it comes with time and a lot of effort. Now I'm running 1.5 miles in 9.5 minutes! I never thought it was possible but it is. You're only 16 and have the luxury of time, I'm getting on a bit at 25 but if a granddad like me can pass selection, so can you! Set yourself goals and then break them down into smaller goals. It will be hard at first but when you start to see results you'll be on a roll. Good luck :D

14. Why be a prick? do you have any friends when you treat people like sh1t off your shoe?

15. You might have a point but the lad's admitted as much and having been given the right advice the rest is up to him.

If he fails- well, you've just summed up the job requirements for an RAF Policeman.