Some powerful images from the times.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by petergriffen, May 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I didn't know if this was the appropriate part of the forums for this, so if it is not, could a mod please move it....thanks.

[​IMG]

a Lynx helicopter takes off from the military base at Musa Qala in Helmand province, leaving clouds of dust, and a soldier from the Household Cavalry, in its wake

[​IMG]

A group of soldiers look exhausted after arriving at Fob Edinburgh near Musa Qala

[​IMG]
    Abdul Halik, four-year-old son of Mullah Salaam

[​IMG]

The former warlord Mullah Abdul Salaam, 42, recently appointed governor of Musa Qala district after defecting from the Taliban and joining up with coalition forces. He has since proved an important ally and has been the target of several Taliban assassination plots

[​IMG]
    The combat medic Jodie Kayhill, 21

[​IMG]
    Corporal Michael Hadden, 26. The portrait was taken after he returned from a lengthy stint at an observation post overlooking Musa Qala

[​IMG]
    A soldier from the Afghan National Army (ANA), which is being trained by coalition forces to take over land-based operations

[​IMG]
    A loadmaster strapped into a Chinook as it descends into Musa Qala. The job entails loading the helicopter and operating the rear-mounted machinegun

[​IMG]
    A heavily camouflaged troop assembly area, for personnel waiting to board helicopters

[​IMG]
    Soldiers asleep at their base in Musa Qala

[​IMG]
    A rocket pod on the side of an AH-64 Apache attack helicopter at Camp Bastion, Helmand province

[​IMG]
    Homeward bound: the Hercules transport plane reverses up to collect the coffin during the final stages in the service for Corporal Damian Mulvihill

[​IMG]
    Made from brass shell casings by personnel from the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, this cross at Camp Bastion sits on a memorial for soldiers who have died in Afghanistan

[​IMG]
    A sign at the base at Lashkar Gah gives details of the countries and cities troops are from and how many miles from home

[​IMG]
    A medical room with two trauma bays at Fob Delhi in the Garmsir district, where the injured are cared for until being transferred to a hospital at Camp Bastion

[​IMG]
    Troops at Camp Bastion stand to attention during a service for Corporal Damian Mulvihill, who was killed by an explosion while on patrol in February. His coffin, in the centre of the airfield, has been carried from the ambulance by men from his regiment, including two of his cousins. From there the coffin will be collected by a Hercules plane to be taken to the UK

[​IMG]
    Bombadier Phillip Darruck, who is attached to the 4 Regiment Royal Artillery

[​IMG]
    A soldier from the Afghan National Army (ANA), which is being trained by coalition forces to take over land-based operations

[​IMG]
    A local man in Lashkar Gah, capital of Helmand province. The base there, home to 52 Infantry Brigade’s HQ, is nicknamed Lash Vegas by troops
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/template/2.0-0/element/pictureGalleryPopup.jsp?id=3817943&&offset=18&&sectionName=World

2. damn images didn't show, give me a minute and I'll fix it

3. Link doesn't work!

Can you fix it mate?

4. I think that should do it OBTD

5. yea that works some cracking images there

6. Yup works fine.Some nice fots there,the hacks really do love the washed out,saving private ryan look.

7. Excellent pictures. Thanks for posting.

8. Cheers mate, spot on images!

Thanks for posting them!

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

good images, thanks

10. Bloody hell, striking images. Well done that man.

11. The combat medic, Jodie Kayhill doesn't look 21, more like mid 30's. I guess a few tours of helmand will do that to you.

12. Striking images and thought provoking.Thanks mucker.

13. Some very powerful images there.

14. Is that a RMLY T-Shirt the fella in the second picture is wearing?

15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Have you checked copyright on those - I'd hate it if ARRSE got into bother for posting them.

Having said that, excellent images and well done The Times.