Some pictures from mars

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by NEO_CON, Sep 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The start

Sprit is on top of Columbia Hills The largest light-colored rock in the foreground is nicknamed "Whittaker." The cliff beyond it and slightly to the left is nicknamed "Tenzing." The highest rock on the ridge ahead has been dubbed "Hillary." Science team members selected the nicknames in honor of the earliest climbers to scale Mount Everest on Earth

A little orientation This perspective view of a three-dimensional model shows the route NASA's Spirit rover took to the top of "Husband Hill," and the shape of the surrounding terrain. Spirit reached the summit on martian day, or sol, 581 (Aug. 21, 2005)

See if you can find Home Plate This breathtaking view from the summit reveals previously hidden southern terrain called "Inner Basin"(center), where team members hope to direct Spirit in the future. The rover left tracks to the left point toward the west, the direction Spirit arrived from. The peaks of "McCool Hill" and "Ramon Hill," both in the "Columbia Hills," can be seen just to the left and behind Inner Basin.
    A larger version

This is the Spirit "Independence" panorama The summit of "Husband Hill" is the peak near the right side of this panorama and is about 100 meters (328 feet) away from the rover and about 30 meters (98 feet) higher in elevation. The rocky outcrops downhill and on the left side of this mosaic include "Larry's Lookout" and "Cumberland Ridge," which Spirit explored in April, May, and June of 2005. A much larger version

A look back

If you haven't had enough

JPL Home

2. They are fakes!

They were taken by a bored US marine stationed in the sand pit :D

3. That may be true but they are very well done fakes

4. i am ipressed with what we have achieved so far

5. irony is wasted on the spams :D

'twas a joke sir!

6. They can't be fakes.... nobody's getting a kicking and they weren't in that krap rag the Mirror.

7. I've been following the rovers pretty closely it is amazing what they done. The rovers were only to last 90 days and the mission would be considered a success . They lasted about 18 months and their going strong.

8. Are the spams obsessed with deserts? 8O

9. If any one interested in what's been discovered.Click on this link they have slide shows that highlights what's been discovered that month

10. Operation Martian Freedom '20?

11. AndyPipkin wrote

never .There's no one to liberate

12. yes there is , future colonist who will eventually want to declare independence in 2076 from the USA govt because of "Unfair and Unjust" taxation without representation :D
    so King George's great grandson will send troops to bring the rebels back to heel and rejoin the Union :wink:

13. If that were case I think I might join. Please don't start me on taxes.

15. Ha, Firestarter's a Babylon 5 fanboy. Oh bugger...