Some photos I was sent and need some background info

These were sent to me by my father, who had got them from the house of an elderly ex- RA WO1 who lived two doors down and passed away a couple of weeks back.
These photos were found in a box with no other identifying markings or info i.e. nothing written on the backs of any of them.
I suspect he simply may just have collected them over the years.
I'll also apologise the quality of some of them, I intend to go and visit my dad with a decent macro lens and get some sharper close-ups soon.
Any ideas of units, locations or time periods at all?

Bill b.jpg

My dad suspects an Irish regt in Ireland for this one.

Bill c-grayscale.jpg

Poss RM?

Bill f.jpg

Not sure if that is hills in the background or just discoloration/staining on the photo.

Bill g.jpg

I don't know why, but I get the impression this is somewhere warm and overseas such as India.

All point to Edwardian Raj. The end of the empire roughly.
The kids hats in the band photo are a clue there. How many photos overall? Might be possible to cross reference a face. Any with a cap badge be gold.
Nice pictures and condolences to the previous owner.

Edit give me a bit might have a clue on the band photo. Kids and dog aside.

RM (LI) would have blue facings on red - or red on blue if RM (Artillery) - pre 1929 IIRC.
Don't Devon and Dorset's retain white helmet?
Other Edwardian Regts probably used it overseas though.

Top picture with the band.
Had a think on this. It is either Irish or Scottish given the headwear but I can not for the life of me think of the capbadge. It is turn of the century given the childs sailor hats.. There are a few boy soldiers in there. Note they do not have the "bandie" shoulder dress.
The odd man out is the L/Cpl at the front with the dog again no shoulder dress so I think the bugler jumping in with the band. Drums and Bulger are separate to the band.

For some strange reason I'm thinking Conaught Rangers, the devils own. Given they went to India in 1897. Just a hunch.

RM (LI) would have blue facings on red - or red on blue if RM (Artillery) - pre 1929 IIRC.
Don't Devon and Dorset's retain white helmet?
Other Edwardian Regts probably used it overseas though.
Edwardian period the helmet in India was white. The distinction comes from the top, be it a ball or spike. Had a drink but can't remember what is what.

Top picture with the band.

What's the banner behind the group? Could it be a colliery band, as early photos of colliery bands showed them wearing military style uniforms. That might explain the two in civvies.

The kids hats in the band photo are a clue there. How many photos overall? Might be possible to cross reference a face. Any with a cap badge be gold.

Can't argue with the time-slot except to note the Ssgt Bandmaster and the Drum-Major are both wearing 'flat 'ats' without cap badges while the others are wearing glengarries, but not with circular 'helmet plate centres' (HPC to collectors), which puts them in a quite small time-slot.

I would also draw attention to the facing colour of both band and the Cpl in pic 2. I am not with my reference books at the moment but there weren't that many regiments with white, and they are either that or extremely pale yellow. There seems no difference between pipe-clayed belt, tapes and facings.

Slight oddity. The band and drum-major are mostly wearing band 'wings' but the lance-jack in the front row with instrument and the band-boys in row 2 are not.

These were sent to me by my father, who had got them from the house of an elderly ex- RA WO1 who lived two doors down and passed away a couple of weeks back.
These photos were found in a box with no other identifying markings or info i.e. nothing written on the backs of any of them.
I'll also apologise the quality of some of them, I intend to go and visit my dad with a decent macro lens and get some sharper close-ups soon.

View attachment 336848
My dad suspects an Irish regt in Ireland for this one.

View attachment 336849
Poss RM?

View attachment 336850
Not sure if that is hills in the background or just discoloration/staining on the photo.

View attachment 336851
I don't know why, but I get the impression this is somewhere warm and overseas such as India.
Not that it helps at all, but on my third look I spotted the lad on the far right (their left) peeping from behind the others :)

Can't argue with the time-slot except to note the Ssgt Bandmaster and the Drum-Major are both wearing 'flat 'ats' without cap badges while the others are wearing glengarries, but not with circular 'helmet plate centres' (HPC to collectors), which puts them in a quite small time-slot.

I would also draw attention to the facing colour of both band and the Cpl in pic 2. I am not with my reference books at the moment but there weren't that many regiments with white, and they are either that or extremely pale yellow. There seems no difference between pipe-clayed belt, tapes and facings.

Slight oddity. The band and drum-major are mostly wearing band 'wings' but the lance-jack in the front row with instrument and the band-boys in row 2 are not.
"Boys" did not get a dress distinction. Plus the lance jack is a possible bugler? I would say militia/early TF but no proficiency stars. A lot of good shots though!

You might like to consider the Border Regt. for pic2. Their collar badge was very similar to the RM except for a dragon with "CHINA" above on the "globe"

The white facings were introduced in 1881 for English and Welsh infantry regiments, so it could be any - though the PoW's feathers on the bandies' sleeves lends credence to the latter. Glengarries were worn by virtually everyone in that era.

A lack of any medals/ribbons also suggests the pre-Boer War period - though that's just a guess with no science involved.

Last edited:
The white facings were introduced in 1881 for English and Welsh infantry regiments, so it could be any - though the PoW's feathers on the bandies' sleeves lends credence to the latter. Glengarries were worn by virtually everyone in that era.

A lack of any medals/ribbons also suggests the pre-Boer War period - though that's just a guess with no science involved.
During the period glengarries were universal they were usually worn as 'full dress undress' with HPCs from their full dress helmets - quick twist and click, they were out of the helmet, two little tweaky bits to hold them in the glengarry.

@Welch Man, a bugler would be from the Drums, so would have had the drum on his sleeve like the drum-major and normally also wings like the bandies if not a really fancy special-to-drums coat. Difficult to see whether he is holding a bugle or a cornet.

The white facings were introduced in 1881 for English and Welsh infantry regiments,
Really? Do you have any authority for that? Not knocking, genuinely seeking knowledge. It seems so unlikely on just a keeping clean basis besides the fact that facing colours were a huge part of regiments' histories - Buffs, Green Howards for instance.

Whilst there were some regiments that had white facings prior to that date, it was introduced as a standardisation measure... and was not popular. It only affected the non-royal/non-rifle regiments. There was so much petitioning for re-introduction of traditional facings that the idea was shit-canned and normality ensued.

View attachment 336850

That one looks very familiar.
In fact, I'd hazard a guess at De Aar.
google image search for 'boer war de aar'

I'll send it to a few Saffers, and ask them to look at their archives.

. . . A lack of any medals/ribbons also suggests the pre-Boer War period - though that's just a guess with no science involved.
That sprang out at me: not a single campaign medal being worn (that I can see). At the very least, even for a Regiment on Home Service for some time, you might reasonably expect to see the DM and the Band Sergeant to have served on campaign somewhere, even prior to South Africa 1899-1902. Plus, those two worthies do not appear to have a LSGCM either, though that in itself is not conclusive.

The top pic of the band (nice) has a Double Bass top centre. Did military bands have such an instrument?
. . . which, given what I posted above, tends to suggest either a long-term Home Service Regt/Bn or a Militia/Volunteer unit. The Bandie and the DM both wear the Infantry red sash and several of the Ptes and LCpls sport GC and SAA badges-not the sort of thing I'd expect to see on a Town or Colliery band.

As to the double bass: well, good Regimental bands would also try have a salon orchestra ability to provide music for Regimental functions for both of the Messes.

I'll be interested to see if anyone can pin this down further.

The "wings" on the uniforms are known as Epaulette Doublets.

Sadly it was only these four pics he had. I will try and get better images of them as soon as I can.

Latest Threads