[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD] The best of the best……….

by Gary Alexander [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[FONT=&amp]
Sorry for my extended absence... still suffering a little burnout after six years, plus a week in Louisville for the Medal of Honor convention... 1700+ miles round trip and more than once [FONT=&amp]Don[/FONT], [FONT=&amp]Mike[/FONT] and I were [FONT=&amp]"overserved"[/FONT] as Don's refers to it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The highlight of the gathering was spending time [FONT=&amp]SFC Leroy Petry[/FONT], the second living Recipient of this long war who saved the lives of his men by throwing away an enemy hand grenade which exploded just as he released it. Citation here.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]What impressed me was that Petry shakes hands with his state-of-the-art prosthetic called an [FONT=&amp]iLimb Pulse [/FONT]... giving no concession to his injury and thereby destigmatizes the avoidance factor that we able-bodied
have with physical handicaps. His hand rotates 360 with articulation in all fingers and thumb, produces the right amount of grip and grasp and yes, it can reproduced the universal [FONT=&amp]"we're number one"[/FONT] hand gesture when road rage demands it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Petry and his wife [FONT=&amp]Ashley[/FONT] have four children: Ashley's three children from a previous relationship ([FONT=&amp]Brittany, Austin and Reagan[/FONT]), whom Petry is raising as his own, and one son, [FONT=&amp]Landon[/FONT]. Petry reenlisted in May 2010.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]On the prosthetic is a small plaque listing the names of the fallen Rangers of his regiment; that's the kind of man he is.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]After recovering, Petry did not seek a medical discharge ; and deployed to Afghanistan between recovering and receiving the Medal of Honor on 12 July 2011. He has served in a series of combat tours, totaling 28 months within 8 deployments, in Iraq and Afghanistan.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Petry is currently stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington, where he assists injured Rangers. is attending Pierce College.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]He is a great addition to the nation's greatest heroes, well-grounded, very generous with his time and if a tremendous leader for this generation's military.... because he leads from the front, old-school style.[/FONT]

It would be even better if (with the precision and strength implicit in robotics) he could sort out that awful beret, and get it into some kinda decent shape . . .

Well done to him! Out of interest, why are Rangers wearing beige berets now? Seen them a few times but I'm sure 75th Ranger regt used to be black. Trying to copy the SAS (it never harmed Delta)?

Sorry for the delayed response:

When the entire Army adopted the black beret (theretofore the headgear of the Ranger units), a dust-up occurred among the units what already wore berets (airborne-/maroon ;special forces--green and Ranger units black).

They felt they felt entitled to keep their distinctive headgear except the Rangers who adopted the tab.

http://www.army.mil/ranger/

Latest Threads