Some of my favourite reads.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Milesy, May 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gates Of Fire - Stephen Pressfield - The legendary 300 Spartans who fought against the Persians at Thermopylae.
    Alexander Trilogy - Valerio Massimo Manfredi - Fictional Account of the life of Alexander the Great.
    Memnon - Scott Oden - Story of the Greek (Rhodes) General Memnon who fought as a mercenary with the Persians against the invading Alexander the Great.
    Tides Of War - Stephen Pressfield - The great Athenian General Alcibiades during the Peloponnesian War.
    The Afghan Campaign - Stephen Pressfield - Alexander the Great's three years conquering Afhanistan.
    Troy Trilogy - David Gemell - A fantastic fictionalisation account of Troy's defence against the Greeks.
    Conn Iggulden - Conqueror Series - Genghis Khans rise from an a family outcast from their tribe, to the leader of the greatest empire ever known.
    Attila Trilogy - William Napier - Attila the Huns rise as a Roman Hostage through to the fall of rome and beginning of the Dark Ages.
    Lion of Macedon - David Gemmell - Story of the young Alexander the Great, the legendary general Parmenion and King Philip.
    Dark Prince - David Gemell - Technically a sequel to Lion of Macedon, but goes away from the historical military fiction more down the direction of ancient Greek Mythology. Does not need to be read as a sequel.
    Spartan - Valerio Massimo Manfredi - Set at the time of the battle of Thermopylae.
    Raven: Blood Eye - Giles Kristian - First in a trilogy of the Sack of Britain by the Vikings.
    King of Ithaca - Glyn Iliffe - First in a trilogy of the adventures of Homer's Odysseus.
    Warrior of Rome: Fire in the East - Harry Sidebottom - First in a trilogy set against the fall of the roman empire.

I love any historical fiction related to military. Ancient Greece, Rome, Britain etc etc. Any others worth looking at? (I have read more but forgotton)