• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Some last minute advice

#1
Hello chaps, this'll probably be my last post on the fitness part of the forum for a while hopefully.

I booked my AOSB main board a while back, the knee problems I described previously have gone away, and I have just over 6 weeks until the big event.

As I mentioned previously, I mocked up the fitness test a few days ago in the local park, and passed. An additional 5% extra fitness or so wouldn't go amiss though!

What I'm asking for are tips and methods on the most efficient way to train in the month and a half I've got left. In fitness terms I feel that period of time isn't a lot, hence the title.

Many thanks, this forum is worth it's weight in gold!


*edit* At the moment I'm planning on cutting training to 3 times a week, but for longer, 50 minutes a time. A combination of cycling and running. Either 1 x cycling and 2 x running a week, or vice versa. I don't really need to work on my sit ups anymore, they're fine. My press ups could use a bit of improvement.

Thanks ladies and gents :)
 
#2
crashdummy said:
Hello chaps, this'll probably be my last post on the fitness part of the forum for a while hopefully.

I booked my AOSB main board a while back, the knee problems I described previously have gone away, and I have just over 6 weeks until the big event.

As I mentioned previously, I mocked up the fitness test a few days ago in the local park, and passed. An additional 5% extra fitness or so wouldn't go amiss though!

What I'm asking for are tips and methods on the most efficient way to train in the month and a half I've got left. In fitness terms I feel that period of time isn't a lot, hence the title.

Many thanks, this forum is worth it's weight in gold!


*edit* At the moment I'm planning on cutting training to 3 times a week, but for longer, 50 minutes a time. A combination of cycling and running. Either 1 x cycling and 2 x running a week, or vice versa. I don't really need to work on my sit ups anymore, they're fine. My press ups could use a bit of improvement.

Thanks ladies and gents :)
You have highlighted what you must do:

Increase your training time but not the intensity - RMAS will do that for you.

Cross-train - cycling, swimming, running etc iot exercise all muscle groups.

Eat sensibly

Build your core muscles - use a ball

Take one/two days off once a week - REST!

Don't damage yourself at this stage!

Litotes
 
#3
crashdummy said:
Hello chaps, this'll probably be my last post on the fitness part of the forum for a while hopefully.

I booked my AOSB main board a while back, the knee problems I described previously have gone away, and I have just over 6 weeks until the big event.

As I mentioned previously, I mocked up the fitness test a few days ago in the local park, and passed. An additional 5% extra fitness or so wouldn't go amiss though!

What I'm asking for are tips and methods on the most efficient way to train in the month and a half I've got left. In fitness terms I feel that period of time isn't a lot, hence the title.

Many thanks, this forum is worth it's weight in gold!


*edit* At the moment I'm planning on cutting training to 3 times a week, but for longer, 50 minutes a time. A combination of cycling and running. Either 1 x cycling and 2 x running a week, or vice versa. I don't really need to work on my sit ups anymore, they're fine. My press ups could use a bit of improvement.

Thanks ladies and gents :)
It all depends on what you want to improve on in the month and half you have left?
 
#4
Hello Marky,

I'm looking to gain a few extra points on the cardio fitness, and a few more push ups in the two minutes we're allocated.

@Litotes: I've never used a ball before. I'll look it up on google of course, but I'd rather read an explanation from a person with actual experience?
 
#5
crashdummy said:
Hello Marky,

I'm looking to gain a few extra points on the cardio fitness, and a few more push ups in the two minutes we're allocated.

@Litotes: I've never used a ball before. I'll look it up on google of course, but I'd rather read an explanation from a person with actual experience?
Hiya Crah,

If you like I can send you a 3 week Programme thats not too intense but it will definatley improve on what you have if followed.

PM me your email if required.... :D
 
#7
Email received Marky, many thanks!

Looks exactly what I'm looking for.

I hope it gives me that last edge that I feel I still need, I can pass the tests, but not by enough for me to feel confident:)
 
#8
6 weeks? Sounds like I'll be on the same board as you then! Anyway can I get in on that fitness programme? my main prob is press ups and general upper body for the assault course. Just remembered that arms have to be tight in on the press ups - I've been training doing wide grip for months. D'OH!!
 
#9
Chuff said:
6 weeks? Sounds like I'll be on the same board as you then! Anyway can I get in on that fitness programme? my main prob is press ups and general upper body for the assault course. Just remembered that arms have to be tight in on the press ups - I've been training doing wide grip for months. D'OH!!
If you PM me your address I'm sure Marky won't mind me forwarding it on to you. 8)
 
#10
Chuff said:
6 weeks? Sounds like I'll be on the same board as you then! Anyway can I get in on that fitness programme? my main prob is press ups and general upper body for the assault course. Just remembered that arms have to be tight in on the press ups - I've been training doing wide grip for months. D'OH!!
I've always been told the hands should be "a comfortable distance apart". No nonsense about being vertically in line with the shoulders. And no-one has ever commented on my technique...

I shall carry on doing them this way until told otherwise.

FF.
 
#12
crashdummy said:
Hello Marky,

I'm looking to gain a few extra points on the cardio fitness, and a few more push ups in the two minutes we're allocated.

@Litotes: I've never used a ball before. I'll look it up on google of course, but I'd rather read an explanation from a person with actual experience?
Saved by the bell (ball)....

Swiss Ball

I am no expert at using them - only experienced at falling off the bloody things!

Litotes
 
#15
The most anti-social exercise in the world. I wish the whole thing was about sit ups, i can do them... I'm only worried about the assault course. anyone know how high the hurdles are? I did my briefing about 4 years ago now and the closest I've come to one since was watching olympic grandstand...
 
#16
Chuff said:
The most anti-social exercise in the world. I wish the whole thing was about sit ups, i can do them... I'm only worried about the assault course. anyone know how high the hurdles are?
Fcuk me. You are kidding.................
 
#17
crashdummy said:
Chuff said:
6 weeks? Sounds like I'll be on the same board as you then! Anyway can I get in on that fitness programme? my main prob is press ups and general upper body for the assault course. Just remembered that arms have to be tight in on the press ups - I've been training doing wide grip for months. D'OH!!
If you PM me your address I'm sure Marky won't mind me forwarding it on to you. 8)
Crack On.... and good luck to you both...

I am pretty sure the assault course won't be an issue!
 
#18
Cheers Marky, I'll crack on with that. the phys isnt bothering me too much, like I said my briefing was a good while ago when I was applying for a GYC. A few ghosts need to be put to rest.
 
#19
Hey Marky, I thought you'd like to know that that programme is absolutely brilliant!

If you just follow it to the letter, it works wonders!

I just repeated the fitness test again today, and urined all over the bleep test. I was barely out of puff at 10.2!

I've never felt so confident about my physical condition, and that's coming from a guy who used to weight 16 stone 9! Thanks very much!

(As you can tell from the use of all the exclamation marks, I'm pretty chuffed 8) :D )
 
#20
I need a quick answer on a sub-question!

I've managed ot catch a cold. Nothing major, just feel a bit tired and a sore throat.

I've got a month left until AOSB.

I haven't trained for 3 days now, how long can I rest until I start to lose the fitness mentioned in the post directly above this one?

I've heard rumours of colds screwing you up fitness wise, can anyone shed some light on it?

Or am I making a big deal out of sweet bugger all?

Sorry to be paranoid chaps, I just want to give it all I've got, and I don't want a cold to hold me back!
 

Latest Threads