Some interesting BAOR maps on Ebay

They used to churn these out all the time....why a new set of maps virtually every exercise i'll never know!
Exercise is planning for war or operations... generally speaking it's always best to go with the most up to date info rather than continue to use maps and data that may be a few years out of date and hope for no **** ups.

These maps had specific overprints and the legend isn't visible, but it could be that the overprints show areas out of bounds for exercise traffic or cross country movement which may change depending on the time of year the exercise was being held or whether the local Germans were fed up with half of BAOR trundling through their village.

For a laugh I considered contacting the seller of these 'Post WW2 maps' implying I was police investigating why maps belonging to the MOD were being sold for personal gain when they should have been destroyed in 1987.... couldn't be arrsed..

£69.95 asking price?! ffs... hasn't even put 'as used by the SAS' in the selling blurb.

Slightly off topic...

The RE chappies at Guilford provided HQ 5 Bde with 55,000 maps of the Falklands for Op Corporate - nice ones too, prefabloned on the printed side so they didn't get soggy in the snow/rain/damp etc....

Obviously the Int Section was put in charge so we roped in the HQ clerks and some bods from the sig sqn to make up map packs for each unit, which were duly issued on the QE2.

What was left over was packed into our trailer to be taken ashore.

Unfortunately the trailer was shipped to Fitzroy on landing craft Foxtrot 4 along with the bulk of the Sig Sqn vehicles and kit. It was sunk in Choiseul Sound on June 8th.

Needless to say that about that time every unit and his dog wanted more maps. It was quite entertaining telling unit reps that there were no more maps... what you've got is what you've got...

Unfortunately the trailer also carried our spare stock of tracing paper. It might interest some to know that the traces issued to some units prior to the final battles outside Stanley were drawn on compo ration toilet paper. We drew the orginals as required, and roped in two RE bods and a couple of spare RMP from the provost platoon attached to the Bde HQ to draw extra copies and sellotape them together.

Int Corps - laid back excellence in action ;-)

Edited add - Belgian Army maps are good as well - the 1:50k ones used to have pictures of churches printed on the back with the grid references and village names. If you were lost you could look at the local church to figure out where you were I guess.

Exercise is planning for war or operations... generally speaking it's always best to go with the most up to date info rather than continue to use maps and data that may be a few years out of date and hope for no **** ups.

These maps had specific overprints and the legend isn't visible, but it could be that the overprints show areas out of bounds for exercise traffic or cross country movement which may change depending on the time of year the exercise was being held or whether the local Germans were fed up with half of BAOR trundling through their village.

For a laugh I considered contacting the seller of these 'Post WW2 maps' implying I was police investigating why maps belonging to the MOD were being sold for personal gain when they should have been destroyed in 1987.... couldn't be arrsed..

£69.95 asking price?! ffs... hasn't even put 'as used by the SAS' in the selling blurb.

the man lacks ambition

......................£1,199.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodness - I have a load of Helmand maps!
map nerddom came to me later in life, i think back to all the ones i jammed into burn bags and am filled with regret....also the MND south route map i found on T7 and diligently handed in because i was young and keen*

i've got a spot map from an op in kandahar (my last one incidentally) which got kept by accident, hangs proudly behind the coat stand

*twat

ETD:
smaller.jpg

Last edited:
map nerddom came to me later in life, i think back to all the ones i jammed into burn bags and am filled with regret....also the MND south route map i found on T7 and diligently handed in because i was young and keen*

i've got a spot map from an op in kandahar (my last one incidentally) which got kept by accident, hangs proudly behind the coat stand

*twat
Somewhere I still have my tribal map of West Belfast and also a spot map of Croatia, Bosnia etc....

Never, ever leave a map half-fabloned to answer a phone-call, or you may find that a 'mate' or two have inserted the Steinhudermeer over RAF Gutersloh. Or it is now a relief map of the region, readable like Braille.

Somewhere I still have my tribal map of West Belfast and also a spot map of Croatia, Bosnia etc....
get them framed....

we recently bought a new house so my mrs is in full on interior decorator mode, the other night i piped up;

DD - "so where are we going to put the maps?"
Mrs DD - "......what?"
DD - "the maps. you always said we didnt have enough wall space for them....now we do"
Mrs. DD - "....err...."

i've ceded that the one of Glasgow (a russian military map of the area with buildings of interest/military all marked up) is a bit big for the livingroom (to be honest it'd cost a fortune to frame) but am currently maneuvering for this one

713090d7-f361-416a-8913-f63a22f8dfc0.JPG

i'll lose, but the joy is in the sport of it

My map’s more detailed, with personally applied ‘spots’ and code numbers. I’ll get it back one day, after the plague...

Latest Threads