Some interesting BAOR maps on Ebay

DaveDaffe

War Hero
These look really interesting and if it wasnt so close to Christmas I would be on them like a shot!

ugly

LE
Exercise maps! The int cells were mad places before a big ftx

What's the bet the winning bid will be in Roubles?

We converted about a dozen BAOR road maps to fold-out-able filofax sized sections for some top bod's and when they were shown off seen at a briefing word got around and the shop was inundated with requests demands from WO1 chief clerks for their respective bosses. And, I am racking my brainbox for the name of that green foldable filofax sized thingy that people were issued.

We converted about a dozen BAOR road maps to fold-out-able filofax sized sections for some top bod's and when they were shown off seen at a briefing word got around and the shop was inundated with requests demands from WO1 chief clerks for their respective bosses. And, I am racking my brainbox for the name of that green foldable filofax sized thingy that people were issued.
TAMs?
61A74ED9-8A28-4034-821E-45F05BFE9D67.jpeg
DFC56D92-21C4-4900-929B-248EF3177630.jpeg

Last edited:
14 Topo Sqn RE based in Dusseldorf would churn these out by the pallet load prior to the big exercises. Standard M745 series mapping with exervise overlays...

Looks about right.

14 Topo Sqn RE based in Dusseldorf would churn these out by the pallet load prior to the big exercises. Standard M745 series mapping with exervise overlays...
They certainly used to earn their pay during exercise season. Then Heinz the Oberstabsfeldwebel over the road from my building used to store many of them them in his top floor lair ............. excellent bloke, do anything for you, but he had a definite "stores are for storing" attitude about all of his carto.

I hated filofax when they caught on. Everyone suddenly needed every aide memoire, order, and instruction producing in filofax format..........not to mention the personally headed note pages & memo sheets or as we used to call them, In Memorium's, because they were never used to deliver good news - one colonel even asked if he could have a black border on his, we obliged. I used to have around 3 pallet loads of the popular pre-printed filofax sized and holed stationary in the store room at any given time in the mid to late 80's - why pay filofax a fiver for 20 blank sheets if I was going to give you a thousand .

Last edited:
Ex KEYSTONE 87?

philc

LE
That was my brother, will ask him later about this lot.

4(T)

LE
Looks about right.

They certainly used to earn their pay during exercise season. Then Heinz the Oberstabsfeldwebel over the road from my building used to store many of them them in his top floor lair ............. excellent bloke, do anything for you, but he had a definite "stores are for storing" attitude about all of his carto.

I hated filofax when they caught on. Everyone suddenly needed every aide memoire, order, and instruction producing in filofax format..........not to mention the personally headed note pages & memo sheets or as we used to call them, In Memorium's, because they were never used to deliver good news - one colonel even asked if he could have a black border on his, we obliged. I used to have around 3 pallet loads of the popular pre-printed filofax sized and holed stationary in the store room at any given time in the mid to late 80's - why pay filofax a fiver for 20 blank sheets if I was going to give you a thousand .

Weren't the Army TAMS a copy of the Filofax idea, but with exasperatingly different hole positions?

Actually, I think I still have my old TAMS/CBB and home-made Filofax inserts in an MFO box in my shed. Probably time to take them to the tip, if the Russians aren't mobilising any time soon.

p.s. i also have all my old BAOR battle maps and a big stack of those 1m x 1m nyrex map cases. My favourite battle map is the one where - with four map sheets glued together - an autobahn snakes across half of the map but then vanishes at the sheet junction. Evidently some of our map mob stocks were a little bit out of date...

I still have a pile of them from the mid 70's, and a air map from the same period, showing all the exclusion zones, and restricted corridors, interesting stuff.

Nope, entirely compatible with Filofax...
I used to get visitors at my shop and if they needed a piss it was easier to take them to the bog's than give them directions. The issue was that to get from my shop to the bogs I had to take them through someone else's domain, it was as large as a football field and looked like a branch of Staple's. Every possible shiny thing for an office you could ever want, need, or imagine - you can imagine how that used to go. Was the time when all these filofax compatible binders were stacked up in boxes by the fahsund - they were eventually locked up in the secure cage along with expensive office equipment, shiny electric typewriters and word processors due to a shrinkage problem.

There was also an occurrence in 1BR Corps. Comd. 1 BR Corps was holding a meeting of his top bag carriers one day and needed to refer to the official content of one of the documents in a filofax compatible binder. He reached over and helped himself to one in front of a senior officer only to find it devoid of the document it should have contained and filled with personal filofax gubbins. I was told he had a bit of an epi and demanded that all present open their binders for his inspection. Apparently he found that the majority of contents had been somewhat "modified".

The shrinkage problem was supposedly caused by the epi and people still wanting to have filofax's, but not wanting to buy the covers.

Remember before the Div and TF exercises being given a sheaf of map surfaces which had to be fabloned and cut to size. Total nightmare when you've cut out accidently a few grid squares out or the fablon slipped and the map bunched under a big bubble.

I had the whole of the 1 (BR) Corps Area fabloned and then connected with a large Acco clip so that they read like a book. Rolled up they fitted neatly in a big plastic, waterproof charge bag container with a handy handle on top.

Also useful for belting my R/Op over the head with when he fell asleep.

Less than 20 minutes to go and no bidders yet - perhaps my CP needs some maps? I was on KEYSTONE after all....

Latest Threads