some info about grenadier guards, wondering few things pls

hey guys, im thinking about joining the grenadier guards but just wondering about a few things, could anyone be so kind and help me :p

well mainly only 2 things, i know the soldiers outside buck palace are grens and they do alot of ceramonial things, but do every grenadier have to do stuff like that? cause im not a big fan, do you get a choice? cause i wanna go mechanised and i told the grens are good for this, being part of 12 mechanised brigade. i dont mind the ocasional march and ceramonial duty, but i want to be a "combat" infantry soldier and from what i could see from the army website, taht after basic you go and do few months in london then after you get your rifle company.

and the 2nd jsut for a fun argument :p whats better, cause im stuck between the 2, paras (16 air brigade) or the grenadier guards :D

All Guards Regiments take turns at public duty. At the moment they are based in Aldershot and not taking part in that many public duties, they are just about to or have just come back from Operations. You will find your career will be a bit of both ceremonial and combat. No I am not in the Grenadiers.

illyrichards said:
if you dont wanna do poncy guard sh!t go paras.. or light div.. they do loadsa "combat" stuff.. woo..?
Yeah cuz thats how it is. Paras hard, everone else poncy eh?

I think you'll find all infantry units like bit of INFANTRY soldiering.

If you were ment to fly , you would have been born with wings . :D

The plan is serviceable (its working) why jump out :?

So ye can fire three rounds a minute BUT can ye stand :?

Xander said:
Hey guys, I am thinking about joining the Grenadier Guards but was just wondering about a few things, could anyone be so kind and help me :p

Well mainly only two things, I know the soldiers outside Buckingham Palace are Grenadier Guards and they do a lot of ceremonial things, but does every Grenadier Guard have to do stuff like that? Because I am not a big fan, do you get a choice? Because I want to go mechanised and I was told that the Grenadier Guards are good for this, being part of 12 mechanised brigade. I dont mind the ocasional march and ceremonial duty, but I want to be a combat infantry soldier and from what I could see from the army website, after basic you go and do few months in london then afterwards you get your rifle company.

And the second just for a fun argument :p what is better, because I am stuck between the two, The Parachute Regiment (16 Air Brigade) or the Grenadier Guards :D
Above is the way that post should have looked.
Perhaps I might suggest spending your time at school, learning english. How to spell, which words go where, the use of capital letters and also that the abbreviations such as "cause" and "grens" should never be used when writing.
Also I thought you said you wanted to go mechanised, so why are you looking at The Parachute Regiment? Is someone being a mong???

*Edited because there are so many mistakes I missed one. :twisted: *

I went to AFCO looking to join the Staffords, but they told me to join the Paras and put that as first choice and Grenadier Guards as second choice after I did the BARB test. I better pass my physical for the Paras then. I've got an interview on Monday (20th Nov) at AFCO, what will it be like?

I went to AFCO looking to join the Staffords, but they told me to join the Paras and put that as first choice and Grenadier Guards as second choice after I did the BARB test. I better pass my physical for the Paras then. I've got an interview on Monday (20th Nov) at AFCO, what will it be like?

Sorry my bad, Pathfinders come under 16th AAB, its 6-8000 strong and constist's of a feck load of units.

16th AAB

I agree FD, its confusing, I cant believe the RGJ will just become lumped into a new part of the light infanrty called the 'Rifles' Nothing against other Squaddies but the RGJ were the 1st special forces of the army wernt they? Plus they have won more VC's than any one else. Maybe Im just old fashioned for my age. 8O

Yes indeedy why I said no disrespect to other Squaddies, the other parts of the rifle's is made up of light infantry units. Part of the rifles will be the Devonshire and Dorset Light Infantry. They wore red and used flint lock muskets back in the day. I feel the RGJ should be just left alone, but like I aslo said im probably just old fashioned, I used to get called Alf Garnet when I was a kid :evil:

Yes took them from. They made the Greens Elite. The Path Finders take recruits from the RAF Regiment but you wouldnt band em together.
I just think they should keep them for their heritage
So agree to disagree I guess :)

crazybrit82 said:
I cant believe the RGJ will just become lumped into a new part of the light infanrty called the 'Rifles'
Take a look at the dress and ethos of The Rifles and tell me again that the RGJ have just been 'lumped in'.

crazybrit82 said:
Nothing against other Squaddies but the RGJ were the 1st special forces of the army wernt they?
No, The RGJ (or rather their antecedents) have led the way on matters like rifles, camouflage and steering clear of straight red lines but I don't think they count as 'special forces', just 'thinking' ones.

crazybrit82 said:
Plus they have won more VC's than any one else. Maybe Im just old fashioned for my age. 8O
Who told you that? Don't think this one bears up under scrutiny. Before The Rifles form, I think it's PWRR who hold that distinction.

crazybrit82 said:
Yes indeedy why I said no disrespect to other Squaddies, the other parts of the rifle's is made up of light infantry units. Part of the rifles will be the Devonshire and Dorset Light Infantry. They wore red and used flint lock muskets back in the day. I feel the RGJ should be just left alone, but like I aslo said im probably just old fashioned, I used to get called Alf Garnet when I was a kid :evil:
So did the 43rd & 52nd until comparativley recently.

Look, matey, if the RGJ are good at anything, it is recognising the best course of action. They chose rifles over muskets, green over bullet-swept red and chose to get their heeds down rather than carrying out drill movements under fire. Latterly, they realised that standing proud and independent in this financially-driven climate is not an act of war any more.

Forward The Rifles. It's home ground anyway.

Ill rephrase what I meant then, I think the name Rifles for the RGJ is a bit too generic given their history. Like the Grenadier Guards come under The Guards Division.

Almost every piece of litrature I see on the RGJ says they have won the most VC's. I dont always believe what I read but the sources seemed credible. :?