Some help needed please.

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by SecondUserID, Nov 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Please forgive the subtle subterfuge, but I have a question that I really don't want to ask on my normal ID.

This is one for all you medics - how do I get counselling through the army?

I am starting to realise that some of the things that I had to deal with on Telic are maybe part of the reason I can't sleep at night (the burn pit especially) and that I might need to talk through the problem rather than just taking anti-depressants!

Any advice would be quite welcome!
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

3. You have been told time and again through the chain of command precisely how counselling may be obtained!

Which newspaper do you write for?
  4. 2ndID - I have PM'd you
  5. Delete "how do I get counselling through the army?"

Insert "How do I ensure I ruin my career by reporting sick"
  6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Do you have the slightest concept of how much damage a comment like that can cause???

You have been on here 2 days- try re-reading the Posting Standards here:
  7. Gremlin,

I suspect you misunderstand Thought Criminal. I interpreted his posting to mean asking for psychological in practice amounted, in effect, to ruining one's career by going on psychological sick leave.

This would, if true (and I have no idea if it is or not), be an indictment of the Army's handling of battle stress, rather than a reflection on the applicant / victim.

Or do I misunderstand your indignity?

8. I'm with Gremlin on this one. The sooner we can rid the troops of their fear of making first contact with the MO for conditions like this, the better.

It's a myth that owning up to some form of mental health condition will hamper your career. A mate of mine (yes, I do have the odd one or two) used to say "Disability and illness take many forms - don't let ignorance be yours".
  9. [/lurk]

Time and again, yeah.....

I am trying to find out the answer to a fairly difficult and delicate question. Just how good a story would "SQUADDIES HAVE TO GO THROUGH COUNSELLING" be anyway?

As other people have said, it is a hard step to even admit you have a problem in the first place, I didn't need knob jockeys like you taking the piss!!

Oh, by the way, it's the Grauniad!

10. Second

Its easy

You take your balls in your hand, step forward and admit you have a problem - thats the hardest bit, and youve done that already.

Next - the easy bit. Report sick and ask the MO to referyou to the CPN / SSAFA counsellor. You'll have to explain your reasons.

If you dont want to use the med chain, go talk to the WRVS, who will point you in the right direction

PM me if you have any problems in your area - and i'll try get you some numbers

11. well done mate - this sort of attitude I would have hoped, had died with the dinasaurs. Very progressive of you
  12. I think we all agree with this. I'm just saying I don't think Thought Criminal meant what you all are taking him to mean. He's commenting on the failures of the system, not suggesting that this is how it should be.

I would hope though, in an enlightened army such as ours :wink: that getting psychological help should be neither difficult nor stigmatised.