Some Good News

F

Flash Back

This report cheered me up - obviously a long way to go, but even if everyone ups sticks and left tomorrow, the trades these people have learnt will still be there.

BBC News - Regeneration and entrepreneurs bring hope to Afghanistan

Any other good news out there for Afghanistan?

Obvious next post will be a simple 'No', but as this isn't the naafi it'd be nice to keep it positive… there's enough on here about what is going / gone wrong already.

I am very happy to see some positive signs in Afghanistan. I met numerous good people when I was there and they deserve opportunities to improve their lives.

Try googling pomegranate juice - firm from west of England which was importing it from Afghanistan. Very expensive product but extremely healthy. The bloke had made the connection and made a market out of it in the UK - with benefits flowing back to Afghanistan.

37ucv67i

War Hero
This is good news, interview on the World Service before. BBC News - Afghan 'suicide vest girl' reveals family ordeal

The 9 or 10 yrs old girl is refusing to return to her family.

She wants an education, an end to her slave/servant like existence and has had the courage to speak out.
From the BBC article: "A presidential spokeswoman said she would only be returned to relatives if tribal elders guaranteed her safety." - is it very pessimistic to think that is not going to work? In other words (genuine question), how much is the word of tribal elders worth in cases like this?

F

Flash Back

From the BBC article: "A presidential spokeswoman said she would only be returned to relatives if tribal elders guaranteed her safety." - is it very pessimistic to think that is not going to work? In other words (genuine question), how much is the word of tribal elders worth in cases like this?
In the interview it said her Father came to take her home, and this 9/10 y.o. illiterate Afghan girl said 'No', saying she would prefer to die than continue her existence such as it was.

Maybe she has seen something of that Pakistan school girl who was shot by the Taliban for going to school and was inspired, or maybe just an incredibly strong character. Either way it must shame the people who tried to force her to use a suicide vest, hopefully forcing wider cultural changes, or at least some cultural discussion and debate about the role of women.

You can't force change on societies or people, it must come from within. This 9/10y.o.'s actions are that i hope.

I am concerned they'll pay lip service to this then punt her back. its a very, very conservative society and many afghans will consider her family to be where she belongs irrespective of the situation.

F

Flash Back

Is this a serious report… ?

Afghan police slash car tyres to prevent car theft??

Punctured Tires In Kabul Are The Work Of Police, Not Punks : NPR

Nesar Ahmad Abdulrahimzai is the police chief for Kabul's 10th district. He was initially reluctant to discuss the matter, but eventually he agreed to a brief phone conversation.

"The police puncture tires as precautionary measures," he says.

"The police are poorly equipped and we simply have no other option to prevent car theft," says Abdulrahimzai. So, he has instructed his officers to puncture tires of cars parked on the street after dark.

^ The concerned citizens of Glasgow do this as well; shortly after residents will receive an offer of protection from tyre slashers for the small sum of £10 per month

F

Flash Back

^ The concerned citizens of Glasgow do this as well; shortly after residents will receive an offer of protection from tyre slashers for the small sum of £10 per month
It's what it sounded like to me. That or a daily mash-esque story...

F

Flash Back

Pretty ingenious - an inflatable donkey saddle for carrying pregnant women to hospital.

Latest Threads