Some corner of a foreign field

This time of year got me thinking about the subject of war graves. Now it is the common practice to bring the dead home - I suppose this makes it easier for loved ones to visit the deceased's grave. But I'm interested to know when this practice began....was it after the Falkland's War?

Was it a conscious unified change of policy or was it a gradual process? And what was the thinking behind it. Was it improved transport and communications? Was it some idealogical shift? - There has always been something sacred about burying the dead where they fell, thast "corner of a foreign field" attatching the sacrifice to the land itself...or was that a convenient myth to shroud the fact that it was too difficult to bring bodies home?

BiscuitsAB

LE
bensonby said:
This time of year got me thinking about the subject of war graves. Now it is the common practice to bring the dead home - I suppose this makes it easier for loved ones to visit the deceased's grave. But I'm interested to know when this practice began....was it after the Falkland's War?

Was it a conscious unified change of policy or was it a gradual process? And what was the thinking behind it. Was it improved transport and communications? Was it some idealogical shift? - There has always been something sacred about burying the dead where they fell, thast "corner of a foreign field" attatching the sacrifice to the land itself...or was that a convenient myth to shroud the fact that it was too difficult to bring bodies home?
Hmm knowing the MOD its probably a cost based exercise.