Some Advice

I stumbled across these forums whilst searching the all knowing Google for a solution to my problem. I'm not sure if i am supposed to be a current member of the Army to post here but i was in the TA for nearly two years. If i am not suppose to then i apologise in advance.

I want to rejoin at my local Intelligence unit in Newport, South Wales. The problem i am facing is that you need three GCSE's to join which i don't currently have. I have the equivilant of two A levels at C grade and i have just finished my first year in Glamorgan university studying Law. I have spoken to someone there and was informed that they would apply for an academic waiver, problem being this was a few weeks ago and i am assuming that if they had heard anything, they would have contacted me.

My question/concern is given my above situation, is it likely that i would get accepted to join?

Also, if they did allow me to have an academic waiver, would my situation allow me to apply to be an Officer?

I would appreciate any input that is given and i apologise again if this is the wrong forums to post in.

I'm afraid I can't advise you on you're situation. I can, however, reassure you that there is no requirement to be a serving soldier to Post on ARRSE.

The vast majority of ARRSErs are either serving or ex-Army. But we also have Matelots, Crabs and Booties as well as Coppers and a few civvies.

The other forum you might want to consider posting in is the Int Corp.

Best of luck. :)

Phone them up and arrange to visit them on their drill night.

msr

Educational Standards 4.014.

With effect from 1 Apr 07, the indicative educational entry standard for TA officers is:
a. The Direct Entry Officers. All Direct Entrants for the AOSB (TA) Board will require:
(1) A minimum of 35 ‘ A ’ Level Information System (ALIS) points from their best 7 subjects at GCSE (or equivalent as listed at Annex D/4). Candidates must have English Language and Mathematics and either a foreign language or science, all at a minimum of Grade C.

(2) A minimum of 180 University & Colleges Admissions System (UCAS) Tariff Points, which must include at least 2 x A2 qualifications at grade E (or equivalent) or better.

b. Soldier Entrants. All Soldier Entrants are required to have 5 x GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade C or above, including English language, maths and either a science of foreign language.

c. University Graduates. Potential officers who already hold a degree from a British University are normally deemed to have satisfied the educational entry standards for a TA Officer, as long as they meet the ALIS requirement. However, AOSB (TA) has the authority to reject less able candidates who, whilst holding a degree, fall significantly below the UCAS tariff.

d. Additional Qualifications. Certain arms require additional qualifications to those listed above. These are detailed at Annex A/4. These may only be waived in special circumstances. Waivers are to be sought from the Arms and Service Directors before a candidate is presented to the AOSB (TA).

e. The provisions of sub-paras a-d are not to apply to candidates for appointments in the quartermaster category or to warrant officers for appointments to combatant commissions, except where specifically stated.

Calder2k8 said:
The problem i am facing is that you need three GCSE's to join which i don't currently have. I have the equivalent of two A levels at C grade and i have just finished my first year in Glamorgan university studying Law.
What did you do instead?? Anyway this site explains how some quals relate to each other http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/database/keyskills.html#keyskills

Your 2 A levels equals 8 GCSE's (grades C-A) at a higher level (level 3, GCSE being level 2).

polar said:
Calder2k8 said:
The problem i am facing is that you need three GCSE's to join which i don't currently have. I have the equivalent of two A levels at C grade and i have just finished my first year in Glamorgan university studying Law.
What did you do instead?? Anyway this site explains how some quals relate to each other http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/database/keyskills.html#keyskills
I completed a one year foundation course at Newport University. This course allowed me to gain enough UCAS points to attend Law at Glamorgan.

I spoke to the PSO in Bristol yesterday and i have to wait till they are back down in Newport to get an interview. After this it goes to a technical board? Where they will then decide whether or not i am suitable.