Some advice pls - really new to this

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by MissSam, Mar 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I could do with some advice. I'm completely new to army recruitment having at first decided on the RAF but now not so sure - thinking green might be rather more fun - so I apologise if I ask anything monumentally stupid. I'm thinking of applying for student nurse. I always wanted to do something medical but somehow ended up doing law at uni and then working for the local council. Deeply bored and dissatisfied so time for a change me thinks, and the armed forces really appeals with travel, routine, being part of something, etc.

Firstly, is student nursing over subscribed/closed/come back in 50 years/etc? I imagine it's pretty tough to get in to with stiff competiton but I'm willing to try pretty hard. I don't know what the state of Army recruiting is at the moment (although I do know the RAF is basically full, hence my thinking of looking elsewhere). Any pointers/advice?

Secondly, am I, realistically, getting on a bit at 26? I don't feel esepecially old but I don't want to be seen as an old codger compared to my peers! I'm pretty fit and willing to train hard so I'm not too worried there.

Thirdly, does anyone have any general advice/insight about being a student nurse and the selection process? I understand it's a bit more involved than the "normal" recruitment process.

Thanks in advance!
  2. The army is overmanned.There is huge waiting lists for almost every job.Also the sdr will be taking place soon which could mean big cuts in the army. :cry:
  3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If you have a law degree why don't you try joining Army Legal Services?

I hear it is quite a cushy number and you do a reduced Sandhurst course making it a quick and easy route into the mob.
  4. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Probably better answered in here.
  5. Aaah, thanks for moving it for me!

In answer to Ravers - I can't join the Army Legal Service as I'm not a fully qualified solicitor or barrister. Just having a law degree is not the same thing - you have to do either a training contract or a pupillage, which I haven't done. TBH I understand military legal services tend to be a couple of steps removed from the "real" service and I'm not sure I'd be happy with that. I'd feel like I was missing out!!!
  6. Hi Sam,

If you are concerned with being removed from 'the real services' then QA is not for you either TBH. Although you are told you are a soldier first, the rest of the army will never see you as anything other than something that never turns up on busses (until they need your professional services of course).

However, if you want to be a nurse and you want to be in the forces, then go for it.

I'm not sure what the current manning situation is, I've been out a while now, but if they are not taking on student nurses then train in the NHS and then join up. I don't know, but I would have thought it would be easier joining up as a trained nurse rather than a prospective student? Your age should not be a problem at all, especially if you choose to train first, I've certainly seen much older than you joining up.
  7. Thanks Scarlet_and_Grey, especially for the bolsering about my age - sometimes I feel ancient compared to other people on recruiting forums! Still, I have life experience I suppose...

The main issue with training and then joining up is cost - even with the help you get from the NHS there is no way I can afford to not be earning, or earning very little, for 3 years and still be trying to live on the outside. Believe me, I would love to go back to uni and train "at home", especially as I have a number of nurse friends to help me along, but sadly it's not an option. Hate to say it but I imagine I'm not alone in that these days - education is so expensive. Perhaps I should start playing the lottery... :D
  8. That is certainly something that I'm glad didn't affect me. When I trained in the NHS we still got paid and had nursing accomodation! Not sure if I was looking at starting now I would do it under the current system. It's a shame, I really want one of my HCAs to do her training but there is no way she can afford the loss of earnings.

Honestly, if you want it, go for it with everything you have. Nursing is a fantastic career with many rewards on offer. I really miss my time in the forces and even after leaving 5 years ago, there isn't a week that goes by that I'm not tempted to phone up and see if then need my services again! I would even re-train as A&E if they want!
  9. If there is a waiting list (which I assume there is), anyone know how long? ish? I don't mind waiting a good year or so - gives me a chance to get everything in order out here first and get a bit of savings behind me. Not that I'm saying I'm not keen, mind!
  10. Thanks, you're really inspriring me here :eek: I'm going to have a chat with a friend who has just finished civvie nurse training to get an idea of how she managed financially. I guess there might be more support available than I realise. I just wish I'd made different decisions as a teenager, but I suppose hindsight is 20:20. If only I knew then what I know now! :shakefist:
  11. You need to get yourself down to the careers office and ask someone who has the latest information in front of them. As nice as the people on here are, I wouldn't put my career in the hands of any of them!

If they don't have the answers then they will put you in touch with QA recruiting who will be able to help.
  12. my sister in law has just qualified as a nurse, and im sure the uni she attended gave her cost of living allowances etc
  13. I know student nurses in my area only get a bursary which is a pittance. It's probably ok for youngsters fresh out of other education with minimal overheads, but no good once you get used to earning a wage and have to go back to it.

We used to sponsor the good HCAs to do their training by continuing to pay them as HCAs during their training. Unfortunately with the current fiscal pressures, the wage bill is the first thing to come under pressure.
  14. MissSam,

Just came across your post where are you at with this now? Did you persue? If you need anymore advice let me know as I am a serving QA.