Some advice please....

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Can_do_attitude, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I have my selection on the 15th Jan for RAC Tank Crewman however I'm not really sure what to do in preparation for the 1.5 mile run.

I'm currently running 1.5 mile every other day however I don't think this is enough quite frankly.... :x

My plan is to maybe run 4 or 5 days then have a rest day then do another 4 or 5 days running then rest day etc etc....you get the idea

My only concern for this is I'm not sure what distance to do for this? Should I just concentrate on the 1.5 mile (the route i have is actually 1.7 mile) or should I increase my distance to say 2 or 3 miles maybe?? And should I do whatever distance everyday or should I do say 1 day 1.7mile the next 3mile then 1.7 mile etc?

Anyone got any suggestions as I'm fairly concerned by this because my selection is only 27 days and my fitness is not exactly the best at present. :cry:

2. Personally, I do a 10 minute sprint, rest 2-3 minutes, and then another 10 minute sprint.

I do this daily, and feel that it's enough to prepare me for the run in 1 month.

If you keep a good pace of running, for 10 minutes or so, you will do the 1.5 mile easily.

3. Erm, a 10 minute sprint? Obviously not a sprint is it ? Bad advice.

Start off with 2/3 milers maybe every other day start off at a pace you can handle then push it for the last half mile ... then slowly up the distance you're running and keep upping the pace etc. Also i found hill work done wonders i'd jog out about 2/3 miles at a steady pace then do hill sprints untill i couldnt do it anymore. I'm currently running my 1.5 miler in 8:50, been training just over 2months. Hope this helps!

4. Run further than 1.5m, and alternate your routes and distances; for example, on one day do a three miler, the next a six miler; then next rest; then a two miler and gym in the afternoon. Hill sprints and interval training are good for increasing fitness quickly, but use them as part of your regime, with longer runs in there as well.

5. dont just run 1.5 miles do a 4 miler at a steady state 3 times a week and do a 1.5 miler once a week to see how you have improved

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.