Some advice please about starting out with weights,properly.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bloodgroup_o+, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, was looking for some advice as my unit PTI is on course so can't ask him, I'm one of the best runners in my unit endurance wise, but overall fitness wise my upper body strength lets me down a bit. I can keep up with most people but I'd like to be better. I weigh around 10 stone and I'm quite toned but I wish to get bigger in size and stronger. Obviously weights training is the way forward in addition to my current PT programme. Problem is, though I've checked on several body-builders sites and found some great advice on whey protein etc, no-where does it tell you how you know which weights to start on. Do I start on the heaviest I can lift? Or do I go for a more comfortable weight which I can get the most reps with? And how will I know when to increase the weight? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Alright mate.

You need to start eating more to build muscle, especially protein and carbs.

With weights, it'd be best to do 3 sets of 10-12 reps of each exercise, but you might find something which you prefer. As you get better, start putting more weight onto the bar and so on and so forth. After a while you will plateau so will need to change your regime, but for now just start lifting and eating more; get ready to put on a few pounds though.

Hope this helps,

3. Cheers for that mate much appreciated
  4. Hi BGO,
    I'm in the same boat as you physique wise, and this worked for me for building strength and bulk upstairs.
    Find a set of 5 or 6 exercises to cover the major muscle groups in the arms & chest.
    Start with a low weight - I started with 6 kilo on military press - and see how many reps you can do before you cant do any more.
    The weight where you can do 7 or 8 reps only, that's the one to train with. Remember its the last reps where you're struggling to move slowly and keep the tension high in the muscle that do the business. When you get up to 10 reps, move up a kilo.

If you have someone to train with, try tabata. Google it if you want more info. It's amazingly effective at developing core and upper body strength if you target the exercises you do to those areas.

Also remember to rest and recover properly - don't overtrain - so only do 2 sessions like this a week. Eat well, lots of protein (meat eggs etc) lots of carbo (bread, pasta, tatties), lots of fruit & veg, drink plenty water and avoid sugary and fatty stuff. I found the protein shakes just made me fart all the time, entertaining for a day or too but then tiresome so gave them up.
  5. Make sure you do all the big compound moves like squats,deadlifts ,bent over rows,push press and bench press. The best way to find out your one rep max is to keep lifting and adding weight on the above exercises until you cannot lift the bar anymore. Make sure you use perfect form each time!
    Once you have found your one rep max you can then work out percentage for strength,bulking up and endurance. Go to the site below as it has some excellent resources and has a 1 rep calculator which converts a 2-10 rep lift to a theoretical (these things are never 100% accurate as everyone is different) one rep max.
    While weight training done right can do wonders for your running,any running over 30 minutes will eat into your muscle so stopping you from growing. Running can be an unhelpful bastard when trying to gain size. :)
  6. msr

msr LE

7. I have found that out, I used to be quite big especially on the arms, now my arms are embarrasing.
  8. Pull-ups,dips and press ups would help there 5.56. I have never understood the desire to get big. You need the extra calories to maintain your muscle mass and if the calories are not there......
    Though I have found squatting and dead lifting to be helpful.
  9. While this thread is up , I've been on the prowl for a weight bench for my days off running (nothing fancy Im a biff) , Ive had a butchers on google at the million and one sites and Im none the wiser - can anyone recommend a decent site that wont clean me out?
  10. Go on classified ads, I think DaPs has one for sale.
  11. I never gained any size on my legs through them, the size cam when I started cycling.
  12. Try and get a extra 500 kcal a day for about a pound a week increase in weight, although to be honest worry about strength gains and don't bother actively looking for weight gain.

As for training, keep to squats, deadlifts and over head pressing (I'm not a advocate on bench pressing but weighted dips can be a good upper body pushing motion) and add in supplemental work (bent over rows, pull ups-0 weighted and unweighted, weighted lunges, box squats, zercher dead lifts if you're feeling fruity).
    I would say start off with 8 or so reps, get the body used to the strain and then begin cycling down to triples after a few months (nothing worse then ripping a tendon because you've tried to lift something too heavy too soon).
    Just remember when it comes to lifting, more doesn't equal better (volume wise).

edit- btw- stop looking at body building sites. They are good for making you big and looking pretty, but functionally they are worse off.
    Tweak some power lifting routines- more CNS adaption which means more strength for minimal weight gains (although some always occur)
  13. If you want to build muscle I'll make it easy. The best rep number is 8-10, don't accept any other number, go for 8. You need to find the sets that suit you, my friend can do 2 sets and he knows he'll build a lot of muscle, when my other mate has to do 5 sets. Always eat after, eggs and tuna should do. Go to the gym 4 times a week and work your ass off. if you are serious about building take creatine.

Best advice evar: work hard and eat lots.
  14. Having done the weights thing myself for a long time, remember, the more bulk that you put on the more you have to carry round with you on your PFT.

Personally now I stick to bodyweight exercises such as Chins, dips and press ups etc. I also use kettlebells which I have found to be great at building functional strength, the type of strength that being in the army generally requires.

If you want to make chins and dips more challenging try these you can pack them away and they take up no space at all, great for tours and certain exercises, wish I had a set when I was in the regs.