some advice on allowances please

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Slyfox, Apr 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. my partner and both my children are staying in our own house in the uk im posted to germany we are not married but own our house and have 2 children together am i able to claim lssa or anything else
    ,the unit rao that i have rejoined through keep saying we are closed for jpa switch over and cant help also looking at renting a flat out there so as my partner and kids can visit during school holls.thanks in advance
  2. Although not an imediate answer I'm affraid! but log onto either the Intranet at work or the ArmyNET, go to the JPA website, then look for the "Resources" button at the top of the page. If you click on that and then sellect the allowances icon you will be supprised at what you can actually claim for with the new JPA system!!! :D
  3. If you are unmarried, or not in a civil partnership, I think the system will treat you as a single soldier, which means you will pay for food & accommodation, and won't be able to claim anything. However, I still haven't read my way through the JPA rules!

    There is nothing to stop you renting a civvie flat in Germany (you have to ask to "live out" otherwise you carry on paying food & accommodation) but be aware that the rental system is different to that in the UK.

  4. Litotes is correct. The following extract from JSP 754 refers:

    Single Homeowner/Occupier. Regular and FTRS (FC) personnel in PStat Cats 3, 4 and 5 who own their own homes and have received authorisation from their COs to live out in their own homes at the duty station (see 09.0107h) will not pay SLA charges at a temporary assignment station in the following circumstances:

    (1) They are on an assignment of less than 12 months, and providing they have a continuing commitment to pay the mortgage and their property is not sub-let. Charges will be raised from the date that notification was given that the assignment will be extended beyond 12 months.

    (2) They are on an assignment, and are waiting for a house sale/purchase transaction to be completed for a period not normally exceeding 6 months. This 6 month period will only be extended exceptionally for a further period of up to 6 months, to a maximum total period of 12 months, when authorised by the individual’s CO. In such circumstances the CO will notify JPAC PACC.

    Or in English, the only circumstances in which a single homeowner would be exempt accommodation charges would be if you were posted for less than 12 months and retained your mortgaged property at home. If posted for more than 12 months, you could be exempt accom charges for up to 6 months at the new duty station providing you were selling your old property and/or buying a new one at the new duty station.

    Bear in mind that there are no marital Categories anymore, everyone is in a Personal Status Category, or PStatCat now. You don't have to be married to be in Cat 1 anymore, you can be in a Civil Partnership. If you're not, you're basically out of luck regarding your charges.