Somaliland - Another Democratic Election proves there is Hope in the Horn of Africa

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rampant, Jul 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Just read in todays news that the long delayed elections in Somaliland have now passed, with the incumbant President standing down. This former British Protectorate has been on eo of my interest for many years now, and I have posted about it many times on this site. Despite declaring independence way back in 1991, this country has still not been officially recognised, it is time she was. This was another in a series of successful elections in this tiny state which has proved a beacon of stability in a desperate region. It is high time we recognised her indepndence, she was, after all one of our own:

The jihadists next door | Rageh Omaar | Comment is free | The Guardian

2. Compared to Puntland, Galmudug and the rest of Somalia it probably is. But to be honest, with their population hooked on chat, their porous 'borders' allowing all and soundry to move around the place freely and the level of corruption, it doesn't really stand out much from its neighbours. But again, compared to the other regions it's better off and in quite some places it's pretty safe.

Having said that. I'm all for the independence of Somaliland, because of the relative stability it has IMO more potential than some of the other regions. The fact that it's officially still a part of Somalia (under the TFG in Mogadishu) doesn't help them to get their coast guard and security forces properly trained and equipped. That's one of the major problems Somaliland faces at the moment. No foreign government wants to invest in or deal with Somaliland to closely out of fear they accidentally recognise its independence. Hopefully the idea of one centralised state in the whole of Somalia will be abandoned soon.