Somalia: Which way backwards?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Devil_Dog, Dec 22, 2006.

?
  1. Only if they discover oil or some other meaningful natural resource

28.3%
  2. No

43.4%
  3. Yes

28.3%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The BBC is reporting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6202681.stm

The situation in the Horn of Africa is undoubtedly one of the most under reported stories of the year. While the rest of the world sleeps, a very substantial area of Africa is about to erupt into a regional war that will rival if not surpass the Balkan Wars of the '90s.

Consider: Ethiopia, which by reputation has one of the best trained and best equiped militaries in the region, is about go full scale against a well organised militia which has within it's abilities the capacity to export terror beyond it's borders into neighbouring countries.

Eritrea, no pushover either,has in the recent past nudged itself closer to the militias if only to make a point to it's mortal enemy Ethiopia. Caught in the middle is another regional power Kenya which has no intention of throwing itself into the fray but will have to absorb most if not all the refugees that this conflict will spawn.

The African Union is impotent. The UN (well it's the UN). The EU can't offer anything but platitudes. The US is too involved elsewhere to offer any meaningful leadership. France is probably signing arms deals with both warring parties even as we speak.

Here is a better analysis.

http://www.nationmedia.com/eastafrican/04122006/News/News04120612.htm

For all it matters, this region has to be stabilized because ultimately the future of a continent is very rapidly going down the drain.

2. Yep you are right. It is going to get nasty.

Thing is it is a long way away, no assests/interest for the UK so the reporting on it will be very sparse until the body count starts mounting.

How long did it take for the world to take any notice of Dafur?

More bad news from Africa? Is anyone surprised or even interested?

3. Sad but true, eventually the UN will get off its backside and wave some empty threats.

4. Just let them kill themselves. Infact i'd even sell arms to them. Why not make money off the stupidity of others?

5. Somalia is, has been, and always will be an area of conflict. The problems are inherent in the region and will not go away tomorrow.

A very very good book to read is 'Somalia on $5 a day'

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0891417419/?tag=armrumser-20

which gives an insight into the region prior to the 'Black Hawk Down' era. In it, he describes the Somali's as the Irish of Africa!! I'm still trying to figure that one out myself :D

Slightly off topic-this is my 2000th post. Ohhh, get me!

6. This isnt our fault or are war stay away .like the review of the book which went like the best british memoirs (without the smugness) :D

7. The Yanks used to supply weapons to Somalia in the ´70s,even cluster bombs whose fragments being made out of plastic wouldn´t show up on Eritrea´s one and only X-ray machine.

IIRC Kent Gavin(?) of the Daily Mirror(in the days when it was a News-paper and not a rag)reported on the war there stating that the Eritreans started their kids off with weapon handling at 5 years old and sent them to the front at 9!

Probably not worth saving any of them :evil:

SORRY, BRAIN FART! for Somalia read ETHIOPIA,well it was 30 years ago that I read it :oops: :oops: !!

8. Wasn't there some concern for somalia becoming a haven for terrorists?

9. Not all of former Somalia is in chaos - the former British Somaliland protectorate in the north has separated from the former Italian bit in the south and has for the past 15 years had a stable elected government and the rule of law, but Britain doesn't have the guts to recognise it. Meanwhile, Djibouti, a.k.a. French Somaliland, is independent and recognised by everyone, and hosts a French military base.

Just look at this country's location, with a deep-sea port just east of the Bab-el-Mandeb, one of the most important chokepoints in world shipping through which every ship from the East has to pass through before Suez. It's truly idiotic that our government is leaving this country to be sucked back into the morass of Somalia and its civil war.

[​IMG]

10. The armed militias loyal to the ICU are run by key AQ operatives. The commentary below from the National Review, although a bit dated, highlights the risks both to the region and the West if the situation isn't dealt with.

Here

11. My ship went to Djibouti in 2003 for one day to refuel.

If I remember correctly, the highlight of the visit was seeing two tramps fighting over a plastic bag on the jetty.

Oh, and a 3 legged goat.

I've already paid my deposit for my holiday there next Summer.....

12. I knew about Somaliland for years, It really should be recognised so that there is an example of a secular democratic muslim country can be shown to the world as a shining example to others.
    I don't really understand politicans these days, they wouldn't know common sense if it hit them on their head.

13. Should Somalia be saved? From what? Itself? Sometimes it is better to look the other way. Sooner or later after enough of the population has died or fled, then they will realize the river of bloodshed is not self sustaining and then they will come to their senses.

The little *******.

What's up with Africa and it's constant desire to have someone else clean up it's mess? Most of the countries over there have been "independent" for at least a generation. They are lucky they came of age when the West had already made all the mistakes evolving civilisations make. Couldn't they just look and learn?

The *******. Let them figure this out for themselves. You can only hold someone's hand for so long.

14. http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/12/22/somalia.ap/index.html

Looks like the battle has been joined. If everything stays equal and Muslim countries don't get involved (which they will in a matter of days), I predict an Ethiopian occupation of Somalia. Another 'Shock and Ouch?'

15. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I think it has been proven it is just that!

I see no vaule to save them at this point. Let them kill each other off and then finish of what is left, of the terrorists that are still there.