Somalia: UK weighs up air strikes against rebels

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Yokel, Feb 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Somalia: UK weighs up air strikes against rebels | World news | The Guardian

Hmmm. A nice can of worms.

2. Somalis must be planning a few weddings.

3. Don't you mean 12 year old's forced rape ceremonies

4. What happend to no more wars / bombing forighners untill after 2020 i thought we were having capability holidays not somali ones. That must have been the shortest goverment spending / defence diet in history with the munchies for more.

5. What are NATO going to bomb? The feckers have done a great and continuing job of destroying they're own country. Wasting vast amounts of tax payer funded bombs on this latest basket case seems pointless unless of course your're a senior air force officer trying to justify funding after the Afghan thing comes to an end.

6. has anyone got the budget to drop any bombs????
    Maybe we should drop water bombs, that'd make the plants grow stop the hunger, problem solved.

7. F-Bombs? Get a couple of woodentops to swear the buggers forward to the Middle Ages.

8. Oh no!!

Impossable mission for UK Armed Forces...

How can we do it now that Ark Royal and Harrier have been retired?

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm pretty sure I heard on the news that the government has just got a windfall of £7bn and a bit, and its gotta be spent somehow otherwise we won't get it next year...

Why not drop some bombs on the fuzzy wuzzies and muck up their training camps for a bit. Maybe...

10. Reinventing the wheel again , Bomber Harris had the right idea in the 20's and early 30's.

"The only thing the Arab understands is the heavy hand."

Or poison gas and delayed action bombs at that time.

11. If it needs more than the the odd 8,300 mile round-trip (15 hrs?) token air strike from the UK, probably involving several tankers borrowed from other nations like for Libya, I suppose it will depend on us begging (or paying through the nose) for host nation support again including sufficient 5* hotel accommodation for the hundreds of RAF support personnel required and a road/rail/air/sea logs train to rival D-Day.

There's always Akrotiri of course (only a 5,000 mile round-trip) but remember that we couldn't use it to launch strike missions against Libya for fear of outraging the Cypriot government. If we suck up to the French enough, perhaps they will let us use their base in Djibouti (only a 1,000 mile round-trip).

It's a pity we can't just send a carrier, isn't it? :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dashed unsporting of these chaps to base themselves out of convenient range of a decent 5 star hotel. Who could have foreseen the need for a mobile ocean based airstrip? How's about we ask them if they wouldn't mind marking time until 2025(ish) when we will just about be ready to sort them out?

• Like Like x 1

13. Yeah, it was a grim day for the RN's 'mighty' fixed wing capability of a half dozen Harriers when they scrapped that big USAFRICOM command & logistics base and airport in Djibouti.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Job for the Navy isn't it? Can't they park up off Mogadishu and lob things at the baddies?

15. Hello SunnoWC. I thought it wouldn't take long. :)
    Angler.jpg