Somalia Piracy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by swissian, Jun 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Picture of security team on board one of our vessels just before a run-in with 19-20 skiffs about a day out of Aden over the weekend. I hv the incident report from the vessel itself if anyone is interested to see, and no-one thinks it is an opsec issue....
    It's pretty obvious what scared then off...

Attached Files:

2. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Was it the crap gun at the back with no mag on that frightened them :)
    • Like Like x 2
  3. "beehind you!"
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The most feared weapon of all - the Long Range Ginger Device. It takes some manoeuvering to ensure the ship is upwind of the pirate vessels so that the stench of fox piss overcomes them, but the result is well worth it.
    • Like Like x 10
  5. Better than the French tossers we had
  6. It's black magic, they'll be terrified of gingers, they'll be on the list somewhere.
  7. I'd like to see the incident report. Not many attacks or sightings these days compared to a few years ago.
  8. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

And me. Sounds more like a fishing fleet
  9. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Written with guardroom ruler:

• Like Like x 13
  10. Just in case you missed the PM Swissian, I manage in that field and wouldn't mind a squint
  11. ok here it is..

Dear... - Good Morning,

..... was attacked by pirates on 13/Jun in posn ........ at arnd 1500 hrs Z.

Three skiffs approached the vessel from the starboard bow with 5-6 men in each with weapons. The ship raised the alarm and the security guards took positions. Then, soon we had another 4 skiffs from the starboard quarter approaching the vessel. All 4 security guards wore their bullet proof vests and uncocked their guns and kept stand by with hand flares to scare the pirates. After about 3-4 minutes we had abt another 3-4 skiffs from the port bow and abt 7 skiffs from the port quarter. The vesel was fully surrounded by pirate skiffs, a total of abt 19-20 skiffs all over the ship within 5 cables. All ship's crew except for C/O and myself were mustered in the citadel and the citadel doors were closed.

C/O was on the wheel house to manouver the vessel and I was in command of the situation. Both of us were asked by the guards to stay inside the wheel house and the doors were locked from inside. At this point only the four guards were outside in full readiness to fire waiting for insts from me. The fire pumps were started and the hoses sprayed water all over the vessel as a good deterent. However, this also made clear to the pirates that the vessel was in full readiness. When the skiffs were abt
    30-40 meters from the ship, the guards showed their weapons and kept hand flares ready. The guards also position to fire. The pirates swa this and also probably saw the razor wires all over the vessel.

After seeing this, the skiffs slowed down their speed and started to drift along with the vessel. I altered course to port trying to keep clear of all of them. Nothing happened for abt 5-6 minutes and then one of the guards contemplated to fire the hand flare as a warning shot but it was not necessary as the skiffs started to fall back. In about 10 minutes all the skiffs aborted their hijack plan and left the........ I called the citadel (steering flat) and asked all crew to muster in the ship's office. Later asked them to be on red alret till morning of 14/Jun.

Some of the crew members were quite responsive while some were afraid which is quite normal. Now we are out of the pirate zone but still keeping watch. ALL IN NORMAL CONDITION NOW AND .......IS PROCEEDING TO SUEZ.................. Pls see attached photo taken by me at abt 1520 hrs Z .....when the guards were getting ready as the number of boats were getting too many to handle.

We have informed the owrs and the flag state. Reports to UKMTO and other parties follows.
  12. We had, RPGs, RPKS, AKS, An MG46, onboard at one point,toys everywhere, pity there were all rusty as hell and minging
  13. So, how long before the shipping companies think that the PMCs are a cost, and Govt's feel they can do something else with their Navies?
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Already happening, certainly on the private sector. For some security companies, what used to be teams of 4 - 6 westerners has reduced to 3 Sri Lankans or Philipinos, same for quality and quantity of weapons. This is all driven by the price that the owners are willing to pay vs the security companies desired profit margins.

I saw a case recently where the three man team was led by a Sri Lankan senior rate. Seems reasonable until you realise that his whole career was as a wardroom steward. His two other team members were also comparably experienced. 2 years ago this company was only providing Ex UKSF or Fleet Protection Group RM.

Of course, the first time a ship with armed guards on board is taken (especially if there is significant loss of life) everyone will start to be more realistic again.
  15. Wunh?