Somali Pirates released!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Trotsky, Jun 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If memory serves wasn't there some worry legally that if we arrested any of them and took them onboard that it would count as British territory and they might be able to claim assuylum as sending them back would violate their human rights?

Edit: Here's the story.
  2. Whats the fooking point?
    Somebody must pay for the joke that this country has become.
  3. Surely you can only arrest people for a specific offence? Or has law been abandoned?

Their weapons etc were confiscated, and they had one of their boats sunk in front of them.
  4. It has to be one way or another Yokel
    If there is sufficient evidence to burn one of their boats and confiscate their weapons then there is sufficient evidence to arrest them and turn them over to the Kenyans.
    Otherwise the Royal Navy just carried out an act of piracy themselves, taking somebodies goods and burning their boat amounts to that does it not (if there is no justification)?

Don't get me wrong, I would rather see the pirates boats burnt nd their weapons at the bottom of the sea than nothing but all they are going to do is pop back to Somalia and restock.
  5. What about the law of going equipped ? Obviously not fishing with a grappling hook were they ?

Probably had a big meal on board and drinks with the Captain, shook hands and on their way.
  6. They will now believe the stories that they have heard about UK law. They must be laughing their - well something off. The UK as a World power, well I suppose it depends on the world that you live in. We are living on past glories. Human rights for pirates, bring on Shami.

Despair mode over.
  7. If we seriously can't arrest them or turn them over to one of the local governments for one reason or another what exactly are we doing there? The only workable solution I can see is either we double up our ships with one from another country who have slightly more robust rules of engagement or hold whoever we catch and call them in to take custody of the pirates, both of which are fairly inefficient ways of working. At the moment with the current rules we seem to be operating might it not just be better to simply remove our ships and contribute some cash to cover the running costs of others?
  8. Can't we simply sink the pirates' boats with them aboard and so eliminate the possibility of them claiming asylum?
  9. The French don't seem to worry about pirates claiming asylum. The INS seemed to be doing well a few weeks ago and I would bet that the Chinese navy won't catch the same pirates twice.

A bit of lateral thinking required, as in 'I see no signal'.

Edited for typing mistake.
  10. Just sent a bollocking on face book to my daughter on board HMS Portland for letting em go.They have put a large no ashore that they've caught in countries in the gulf who are more proactive so to speak.
  11. Somali Pirates released!

heading to a councul house near you 8O
  12. Unfortunately happens all the time; the canadians also had to release some pirates last April. As long as the legal issues are not sorted out, the pirates don't have much to fear, esp. now that NATO is trying to compete with the EU....
  13. No legal issues (discussed in another thread). NATO tries to compete with the EU??? What is that about?
  14. The Atalanta mission of the EU and the Allied Protector mission of NATO are apparently stepping on each other's toes rather than complementing each other.

Since the same countries are feeding both Ops, there is a competition for assets and not always in the most healthy way.

Some countries are now even calling for the NRF to be deployed !