Somali pirates - Indian Navy sets an example

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Invicta, Nov 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Indian Navy has successfully prevented the hijacking of a cargo ship in the Gulf of Aden. Unlike us they don't have their hands tied by worries that captured pirates will claim asylum under human rights legislation once they have been detained.

Click on the link:

It's not made clear if the vessel was Indian flagged, but if it wasn't then that is an additional well done from me.

A step in the right direction. In know that the RN has HMS Gloucester in the area, but I can't see them being allowed to get, ahem, 'kinetic' with any pirates that they encouner.
  2. msr

msr LE

It's a vision of the future.
  3. Well done the Indian Navy - Jai Bharat.

The Indian Government are not shackled by the facile Human Rights 'stasi' and the European Soviet Union bossing everything they do.

PS: Seems the answer is 'flag' the ships with an Indian flag.
  4. Indeed. I remember the past, when ships used to reflag with the Red Ensign to get RN protection.
  5. Are those the days when the RN enaged in warfighting, not Gay Pride :)
  6. That would almost be funny........
    Except its just not is it? Sooner or later somebody will have to pay for what has been done to this country.
  7. No they won't. The people responsible will retire to tax havens to write memoirs like Tony, or trade their address books for directorships like Patricia Hewitt. or, god help us, they'll become 'media celebrities' like Prezza - making a living talking about toilets on telly.
  8. msr

msr LE

Yes they will. Everyone who lives in this country.

Watch out for the next 10 years: it's going to be payback time for the Treasury and where are they going to get the money from?

9. I gave a course to the Indian Navy some years ago and they seriously impressed me. Very professional officers and senior NCOs - although I wished that they'd do something about the rats running around the place.
  10. I think the financial pay back is the least of our worries and I think the next ten years is a conservative estimate. If you'll excuse the pun.

I have had very limited interaction with ex-Indian Navy and as mnairb said, they seem very good.
  11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Long ago, but I recall the six Indian officers in my term coming in the first dozen in the passing out exams (out of 100+). Pakistan per contra, all 5 of them in the last dozen. One of them had already starred by trying to put oil into a boat's engine through the dipstick hole.

Not always on wavelength though: ex-Viceroy Mountbatten at passing-out Divisions to Indian cadet: 'Where are you from?' Cadet: 'India, sah!' Mbatten: 'Yes, I can see that.'
  12. We ought to set some traps. float an old boat up and down till some cbut takes the bait. And then strike with a couple of Apaches and some deck mounted Rardens and Javelins that were all previously hidden under a couple of old poncho's.

Reckon that after a couple of succesfull ambushes that word would soon spread...
    :D :D :D :D :D

But in the mean time, well done to the Indian Commandos.
  13. Huzzah! Got family on board- thanks for the heads up guys! :D
  14. Appreciating this is more of a Rum Ration kind of question,but what kind of state is the Indian Navy in? Seemingly decent blue water capability?